• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle Install Problems

Fast95Neon

NAXJA Forum User
so im putting in new leafs and tnt boomarang shackles but the upper bolt is tough to get out...used a breaker bar and i layed down held the bar with one foot and kicked with the other...and it kept popping when it turned and....now i can turn it with a 1/2 ratchet still tought though....but the bolt doesent backout, and i cant turn it with my fingers...
i think its broke on the inside...

do i take out the rear bumper?

i tried finding some other post but none helped

This usually happens when the bolt becomes frozen in the spring eye bushing. The pop you heard could have been the nutplate breaking off inside the frame. This is not so good. You may have to take a sawsall and cut the bolt on both sides of the spring eye and then deal with the broken fragment of bolt inside the bushing. It might require you to replace the bushings, then you have to fix the broken nutplate inside the frame. Anyway that's sort of the worst case scenario.

When I took mine out a week or so ago, once I finally was able to crack it loose (kinda sounded like what u were describing) I just flooded the bushing and the bolt with more aero kroil (like PB but better IMO) and it cracked and popped and squeeled the entire way out. Didnt break anything. Just dont do it all in one shot so you dont heat the bolt up too much and end up breaking it anyways. I would crank at it for a few mins, then let it sit and oil it up again, then crank away again. It took using a breaker bar almost the entire way out to get it out! I'd try that before you go cutting the bolt. Again with the worst case, you can take the bumper off and there is a little hole there, you would have to make it a little larger and you CAN get in there and access the nut, but it doesnt look like fun!

if you did break the welds on the nut in the frame you are gunna have to cut into the frame and reweld it all in place, it really sucks I know, damn all those years of salt covered wintery roads!

mucovich said:
if you did break the welds on the nut in the frame you are gunna have to cut into the frame and reweld it all in place, it really sucks I know, damn all those years of salt covered wintery roads!

I freakin love your avatar!

I suggest getting a new nut and a washer that is about 1/4" bigger than the hole. Cut the washer in half and weld the nut to it. Then insert the half into the frame and tack weld it in place then fish the other half of the washer into the frame and weld it all up. Or you can cut a hole in the opposite side of the frame and weld the nut in then weld up the hole you drilled on the other side.

Back