• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what's under the cowl?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I am attempting to build a snorkel for my 2001. My original plan was to go through the firewall and up out of the passenger cowl. I removed the cowl cover and it seems like there's no access on the passenger side like there is for the driver's side (wiper motor). What's under the passenger side cowl (under the sheetmetal)? Anything that would get in my way? I feel like cutting that whole piece out of there so i get full access to the entire cowl area. Is taht a bad idea?

Perhaps if the cowl method ain't do-able, i might go with my tj setup:

I just don't know how round pvc will look on an xj.

jeeperjohn said:
I think the a/c and heater box is right under the cowl on the passenger side.

well that sucks. I could just go out of the driver's side instead but would that cause trouble since it's "in my vision area" or blocking the vin?

xray said:

Thansk, that's what i saw in my search but my concern is snow/ice. We get alot of that in PA and my ex TJ's cowl was always packed shut with ice so i don't know about that method. I may do the same setup and then come out of the cowl area (cutting through the vents) about 4-6" and use a pvc cap on top like my tj's setup.

Back