• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine oil accumulator

jeeperjohn

NAXJA Forum User
This is a tech article about installing an engine oil accumulator. An accumulator stores engine oil under pressure while the engine is off. When you turn the key to the on position it releases the oil into the oil system pressurizing your bearings and preventing wear that would otherwise occur during startup. It also holds a reserve of oil while the engine is running so that if you find yourself at a steep angle and the oil pickup gets uncovered, it provides a momentary supply of oil to prevent damage from no oil. It also will give you time, in the event of a rollover, to turn the engine off before damage occurs.

Some of the parts I am using are from an accumulator kit I bought from a company down in San Diego a couple of years ago. The problem with this kit is that the reservoir does not separate the oil from the air and so the oil will absorb the air over a couple of days and the pressure is lost. To solve this I bought a remote reservoir for a Fox shock from 4Wheel Parts for around $65. This reservoir has a floating piston inside that separates the oil from the air and therefore prevents the loss of the charge.

The parts needed consist of the reservoir, the fittings for the hose and the stock oil pressure sender, the hose, an electric solenoid that controls the flow of oil into and out of the reservoir, and the wire and connections to make it all work.
This is the reservoir with the stickers removed and some large Adel clamps on it to hold it to the sheetmetal.
DSCF0003.jpg

The next shot shows the floating piston inside the reservoir.
DSCF0004.jpg

The fittings installed on the engine.
DSCF0014.jpg

The reservoir with the necessary fittings installed. The reservoir has 7/16 20 threads. I had to take a fitting for an air hose and cut one end and thread it for the reservoir. This resulted in a fitting that has 1/8 NPS (national pipe standard) threads on one end, and 7/16-20 threads on the other end. Both ends male. The end that threads into the reservoir requires an o-ring that will fit into a recess in the end cap of the reservoir because the reservoir has straight cut threads instead of tapered like pipe thread is.
DSCF0006.jpg

Also seen in the above picture is the electric solenoid that controls the oil flow. I am not sure where you can get one, I haven't looked. This one came with the kit I had previously bought.

The reservoir with one endcap removed.
DSCF0003.jpg

This is a rivnut tool. It puts a threaded insert into the sheetmetal for a 8/32 screw. It fits into a 1/4" hole. When you install the insert, the tool pulls the backside of the insert toward the head and crushes the shank of the insert on the other side of the sheetmetal. This holds the insert firmly in place.
DSCF0012.jpg

The reservoir installed on the firewall.
DSCF0013.jpg

Next the hose is connected to the reservoir and the electrical connections are made.
DSCF0015.jpg

The power wire for the solenoid should be connected to a key on hot source. That means that whenever the key is on the wire has power. The other terminal of the solenoid goes to ground. I bottomed the floating piston before installation by applying air pressure to the air side of the reservoir. I then released the air pressure. When you start the engine, the oil pressure forces oil into the reservoir pushing the floating piston back into the reservoir and filling part of the reservoir with oil. This compresses the air on the other side of the piston. When you shut the engine off the solenoid closes trapping the pressurized oil in the reservoir. Next time you turn the key on the oil is released back into the engine to pressurize your bearings. The solenoid remains open while the engine is running so the reservoir can supply oil pressure to the engine in the event the oil pump cannot supply pressure. So far the oil pressure goes up to about 20 or so PSI when I turn the key on. This may improve a little as the air gets purged out of the oil lines and the oil side of the reservoir.

Last edited:
xjjeeper19 said:
how much oil does it hold John? That is a sweet setup...

Justin
It seems to hold a little less than half a quart. I am thinking about attaching a small air tank to the air side so that the entire reservoir can hold oil, then it will hold about a quart.

jeeperjohn said:
It seems to hold a little less than half a quart. I am thinking about attaching a small air tank to the air side so that the entire reservoir can hold oil, then it will hold about a quart.

What about another shock res.

JUstin

Back