• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front header panel removal question

bxj

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of replaceing or removeing the front header panel which has three metal screws attaching it on each side and where the OEM factory screws are attached and assembled from underneath inside the front wheel houseing-My question is does anyone have any tips or advice on how to go about removeing the header panel ,with out haveing to go underneath the front wheel houseing or should I just go ahead and quickly drill/rip out the six screws and replace the OEM attach points with something else ?-TIA

I'm afraid you're gonna have to be a little more specific. I'm not sure what you are referring to as the "header panel". There are some screws that are hard to get to but if you take things apart in the right order it's not too bad.

After a brief review I believe the unit in question is referred to as the header panel-This is the unit that houses the grille and headlights and again there are three screws per side that are driven though from the inside of the wheel houseing-It is beginning to look as if the most direct and simple way is to just cut the screws off-Thanks again for the help-
bxj

This is an easy one. Remove the grille and the headlight surrounds. There are 2 nuts on each side of the header panel that hold it on. Also, under the hood there are 4 nuts that are on the "L" bracket attached to the steel plate that covers the radiator. You will have to disconnect the wiring for the lights and then the header panel comes off. This info is based on my '92.

If you cut the screws, how will you reattatch it to the fenders? If you use a long extension with a wobble socket they can be removed easily. BTW the header is fiberglass, be careful ripping it off.

jeeperjohn said:
This is an easy one. Remove the grille and the headlight surrounds. There are 2 nuts on each side of the header panel that hold it on. Also, under the hood there are 4 nuts that are on the "L" bracket attached to the steel plate that covers the radiator. You will have to disconnect the wiring for the lights and then the header panel comes off. This info is based on my '92.

Same thing on my 98. I've gotten real fast at taking off the header panel. I've done it a couple times in the past few weeks.

Four screws on the L-bracket. A nut behind the headlight surround. And another nut under the hood in the topmost corner.

Not sure what three screws you're talking about, bxj.

"Four screws on the L-bracket. A nut behind the headlight surround. And another nut under the hood in the topmost corner"-
Thanks all-Great information and advice as always here at NAXJA and it looks like I'll be getting "up and at em " bright and early tommorow morning-I am thinking of maybe updateing the front end with a newer model 97+ panel-I understand vaguely and I heard somewhere that I'll need the newer 97 + wireing harness also because of the front light turn-signals.
bxj

Eh, I mis-typed. jeeperjohn had it right.

Four NUTS on the L-bracket, one nut behind each headlight surround, and one nut under the hood in each of the two topmost corners. Total 8 nuts.

bxj said:
"Four screws on the L-bracket. A nut behind the headlight surround. And another nut under the hood in the topmost corner"-
Thanks all-Great information and advice as always here at NAXJA and it looks like I'll be getting "up and at em " bright and early tommorow morning-I am thinking of maybe updateing the front end with a newer model 97+ panel-I understand vaguely and I heard somewhere that I'll need the newer 97 + wireing harness also because of the front light turn-signals.
bxj

You also need fenders with the 97+ header panel.

Understand vaguely that for the 97+ front panel "upgrade" that front fenders were'nt needed-Also does anyone know if the earlier model XJ grilles will work/fit on the 97+ header front panel-I am hearing something to the effect that the earlier XJ model headlight surrounds will work as well-All advice/comments will be appreciated-TIA

Back