• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about sythetic fluid

pist5.0

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 04 rubicon that I just added to my stable and plan on changing the fluids. I believe i just read a post that said running a synthetic fluid will cause the air line for the locker to swell and leak in the diff, causing it to not work. This is the first I have ever heard of this. Just wondering if this is the case so I don't screw up my new truck. I just seemed a little weird to me since the line is in a petroleum product, that a synthetic would cause a problem. Please help! My Cherokee has air lockers, and I have been running a 75w140 synthetic with no problem for 2 years. Any light shed on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks:scared:

Here is the info I have. I've never heard that, but I have seen the hose blow off. Don't blow any more that 5psi in the tube to test it.

RUBICO* 226 RBI (Model 44) - Mopar® Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-140

I thought it was kind of an odd deal myself. I read a thread that said they swapped a rubi axle into an xj and had some problems with synthetic fluid. I can't imagine the difference between the petro products would cause an issue. I just don't want to be on the trail with this thing and not have the lockers work.

I believe the thread said that the small air line inside the locker would swell. But didn't offer any kind of proof, or link to it.

Back