• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Terminal block for accessories...

BruceB83

NAXJA Forum User
To keep things clean and easy to hook up...I would like to put a terminal block thingy in my engine bay to run lights, cb, etc. to instead of having to plug into miscellaneous fuses and have wires up under the dash for power. I am not an electrical savy person so I am not 100% sure how this would work. For reference, I am thinking something like this...

terminalblock.jpg

Would I just run a main power wire from the battery to this and then ground it? After that, can't I just run accessory power wires, such as lights, straight to this block and maybe use an inline fuse of some sort?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Electrical stuff is about the only work I can't do. I just don't understand all the fuses and relays and junk. Thanks!

Hi: Check out Painless Wireing straight forward and simple products online for your terminal bloc options and wireing instructions-Also their are additional electricalaccessory options available at your local auto store outlet to allow you to eliminate that wireing clutter and problems-HTH
bxj

What I did on my trail rig is to use a make up box from Radio Shack and 2 fuse blocks(4 fuses each). Connect the one side of each fuse block together for the input side and then all you have to do is put in the size fuse you need to whatever you are hooking up.

One fuse block is striaght up battery power, the other is switched from a 30 amp relay from the ignition(also mounted in the box). The box is fed from the battery with 8 gauge wire and 40 amp fuse. You will need a couple of 1/2 holes to run wires in and out. You will need a good ground source for the relay.

The straight up battery power side is for things that I want powered all of the time, the other side is for things that I want switched from the ignition. Do your math and do not not overload the box!

I mounted the box inside on the kick panel, drivers side for easy access.

It is a little more complicated than it sounds, hope that helps.

OK...I'll be seeking help from a friend on this one. Thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

BruceB83 said:
Would I just run a main power wire from the battery to this and then ground it? After that, can't I just run accessory power wires, such as lights, straight to this block and maybe use an inline fuse of some sort?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Electrical stuff is about the only work I can't do. I just don't understand all the fuses and relays and junk. Thanks!

I may be misunderstanding the first sentence in your statement, but just in case I am not... Sounds like you are looking to run a wire from the battery to this distribution block. Then from the distribution block you want to run a ground wire. The last part is what alarms me. Unless the distribution block is marked with a ground circuit, don’t create one as you will short the wire you just pulled. Most electrical devices on a vehicle will ground directly to the XJ body and don’t have a special return ground.

I have used numerous methods for adding electrical capacity to my XJ, but I haven’t used that exact block.

Things to consider when choosing such an item:

Is it rated to provide enough amperage for my intended use?

What size gauge power feed line will I need to supply the amperage needs of the accessories attached to the block.

Make sure you fuse all the power feeds as close to the power source as possible. Meaning your main power feed should have a fuse (or circuit breaker as close to the battery as possible) that protects it from a short. Similarly for every circuit going to each accessory you want to have a fuse installed as close to the distribution block as possible.

MGrobe said:
I may be misunderstanding the first sentence in your statement, but just in case I am not... Sounds like you are looking to run a wire from the battery to this distribution block. Then from the distribution block you want to run a ground wire. The last part is what alarms me. Unless the distribution block is marked with a ground circuit, don’t create one as you will short the wire you just pulled. Most electrical devices on a vehicle will ground directly to the XJ body and don’t have a special return ground.

I have used numerous methods for adding electrical capacity to my XJ, but I haven’t used that exact block.

Things to consider when choosing such an item:

Is it rated to provide enough amperage for my intended use?

What size gauge power feed line will I need to supply the amperage needs of the accessories attached to the block.

Make sure you fuse all the power feeds as close to the power source as possible. Meaning your main power feed should have a fuse (or circuit breaker as close to the battery as possible) that protects it from a short. Similarly for every circuit going to each accessory you want to have a fuse installed as close to the distribution block as possible.

Yes...it alarms me to. LOL. Yeah, I see what your saying. Like I said, I am not extremely electronics savy...for some reason that the one thing that I never really learned.

I was just looking for anyone who has done this before to give me some direction on what to do. I am looking to run probably a total of 365 watts of lights (3 55's, 2 100's) and then I would like to run my CB power wire to it. I guess that is it for now.

I need to put it up on the site, but I've started carrying what I call a "crown" post - it has a large central post for power feed, and eight smaller screws around it in a ring for accessory power. Surface mount, and rated for about 150A overall. Stainless hardware.

Here is a datasheet with drawing - http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/PDF/post1.pdf

Let me know if you're interested. As I said, I just need to add it to the site, and I've got site updates to work on this week-end anyhow.

5-90 said:
I need to put it up on the site, but I've started carrying what I call a "crown" post - it has a large central post for power feed, and eight smaller screws around it in a ring for accessory power. Surface mount, and rated for about 150A overall. Stainless hardware.

Here is a datasheet with drawing - http://www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power/PDF/post1.pdf

Let me know if you're interested. As I said, I just need to add it to the site, and I've got site updates to work on this week-end anyhow.

Yeah, that's pretty cool. Give me some more info. Thanks! You guys have been alot of help on this topic. I think I am starting to learn a little bit too.

BruceB83 said:
Yeah, that's pretty cool. Give me some more info. Thanks! You guys have been alot of help on this topic. I think I am starting to learn a little bit too.

What would you like to know? I know I need to add the parts listing (I'm about to start doing website work, now that I've got some other things seen to...) and asking you this tells me what I need to add as far as information on the site.

So, what would you like to know?

I did exactly what you are talking about with the $4.00 fuse block from Autozone. It works fine. I power 4 roof lights (2 per fuse), 2 off road lights, and my in cab winch controller through it. (I fused the winch control switch so I could pull the fuse and disable the switch when I'm not on the trail)

I had to mount it on the opposite side of the engine bay from the battery. Wherever you mount it, put an inline fuse in your wire from the battery to the fuse block as close to the battery as you can get it.

As far as wiring goes, it's a pretty easy project. Do yourself a favor and get a wire end crimper tool if you don't alredy have one, and when you buy wire, just go ahead and buy a medium sized spool. You will need more than you think.

Back