• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swap NP231 to NP242

K_scheeringa

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
Quick question.
I remember reading about swapping from a 231 to a 242 and someone mentioned about needing the linkage and pivot from the 242 transfer case.

What is the difference between the linkage or pivot of the two?
Can I get the one from my 231 to work with the 242? The bone yard I got the tc from did not include any of the linkages or pivots. All I have is the tab on the outside of the tc.

Thanks

so you are swaping a part time tc for a full time? i want to do this also. from what i have saw all you need to do is make sure the splines are all the same count. but have yet to do any thing to it.

The case I got was from the same year, but did not include all the external linkages.
From the reading I have done if you can get the complete set up (case & linkages) from something about the same year it is a direct swap.
If you are close to a year that they mage changes then you have to watch it.
I went to www.car-parts.com and did a search; it will tell you what years will fit.
I did read somewhere that the 242 is something like ¼” longer or so.

well when your done i would like to hear about it. i have been thinking of doing it.

but there is some stuff on the list to do before it. like the broken spring. my right front is 2 inches lower than the rest.

Back