• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

e-3"s or bosch plat. & 4's

Never tried the E-3's, I use Bosch. haven't had any issues yet.

Just pulled out a set of Bosch Platinum +4s out after 100K miles, and they looked great. Probably could have gone another 100K. I replaced them with the new Bosch Fusions.

I put the E3's in about 1000 miles ago with the remaining "full tune up" features. I think the tune up made the difference not the plugs. But who knows. This is the beginning to another feud...

Del00XJ said:
I put the E3's in about 1000 miles ago with the remaining "full tune up" features. I think the tune up made the difference not the plugs. But who knows. This is the beginning to another feud...

I've been told that unless the engine came with platinums, to stay away from them. I use them only if they were OEM.
Did Chrysler start using them in the late XJs?

RyanM said:
neither. Champion Truck Plugs here!!

X2^ these seem to be the best "bang for the buck" They will (allegedly) reach self cleaning temp quicker (not hotter, just up to temp quicker) and plattinum will resist wear longer than standard electrode. I have run them since I bought this pig and they've been trouble free for the last year-- only time will tell though.

--Shorty

I work as a mechanic in a dealership..... if we see a car with a misfire, rough idle, hard start etc, and it has bosch platinum plugs in it, the first thing we usually do is put the right plugs back in it...... You would be amazed at how many times we have found that a vehicle will run poorly with bosch plugs...... No spark plug will give you any form of a performance gain given that you have the correct heat range plug in good condition...... the cost of platinum plugs vs. regular plugs does not equate when you look at the life expectancy...... the price increase is far greater than the life increase..... As previously stated, if you have a vehicle that came with platinum plugs, then by all means, that is what you need...... As a general rule, an engine will be at its best if it runs the plug it came from the factory with..... Chevy's like AC plugs, run like crap on champions, Hondas like NGK's, Ford likes autolite, etc....

boojo35 said:
I work as a mechanic in a dealership..... if we see a car with a misfire, rough idle, hard start etc, and it has bosch platinum plugs in it, the first thing we usually do is put the right plugs back in it...... You would be amazed at how many times we have found that a vehicle will run poorly with bosch plugs....

Some years ago I had an Audi 5000. Installed platinums, ran real bad, replaced them with standard and it cured the problem.

when I first got my ride I was under the impression the +4's were the ticket so I went for it. then read here they weren't so I figured for the cost why not try the plain ole Champs... that was 2 years ago, haven't looked back since. I certainly didn't notice any gain with the +4's, but the engine sounded better with the Champs in it. No dif than that tho.

For the cost of the Champions there's no reason not to atleast try them if you have some high priced plugs in there now. Worst that happens is you have some spare plugs to toss in there if you run some engine cleaner through it and are worried about fouling yours.

I tried the platinum thing from several manufactures, then one day I needed some plugs for routine maint. I tried the Champions and you know what it runs the best with them. So looks like I wasted my money for a few years.

Try whatever you want, when it starts running funny in a few hundred miles just put the champion coppers back in and fix it, then let us know what you used so we can add it to the 'don't use' list :D

darjevon said:
The 4.0 was not designed for platinum plugs. Use champion regular or truck. I run NGK's cause I can get them cheap.

No engine is designed around a spark plug.
spark plugs are designed around an engine. So there really is only a difference in the materials used to build the spark plug as they have to meet the designed specs for a given engine model first then what material.

its just the way it works its that simple you get the right part number decide how long you want the plug to last and buy that flavor (Std,Cop,Plat,Irid)

the rest of this talk is really just ..well what is the term.. SPOBI I think thats the term :) ie BS

Back