• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust woes

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
First up, I have an 89 cherokee. I did a hard 0-90 acceleration today and after doing such, I noticed it was.. louder. I got home and checked it out and it turns out the tail pipe completley broke off the exhaust (looks rusted out). I looked further and apparently the muffler is loose. It's hard to explain but, when it was working, the exhaust goes from each cylinder into a single pipe, this pipe goes down from the engine, then along a straightish line to the muffler. From the muffler, it goes along a straightish line to the tailpipe, and that's it.

However, the exhaust pipe that goes from the engine to the muffler isn't welded or attached to the muffler in any way. In fact, if I took off the attachment that holds the muffler up close to the body, I could take the muffler off, plus all of it's pipe that leads to the tail pipe. The muffler just "sits" on the exhaust pipe that comes from the engine. Is this normal? I wouldn't think so. Did a weld inside the muffler break off? Thanks.

Last edited:
From the motor is your exhaust manifold, connects to your down pipe(goes down and crosses under motor to mount), mount to cat. converter, muffler, then tail pipe.

Don't understand the discription. Have any pics? pipe for muffler will reveal a swell where it usually is pinched/stamped into muffler.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
From the motor is your exhaust manifold, connects to your down pipe(goes down and crosses under motor to mount), mount to cat. converter, muffler, then tail pipe.

Don't understand the discription. Have any pics? pipe for muffler will reveal a swell where it usually is pinched/stamped into muffler.

Yeah it is hard to convey sorry.

It goes from manifold, to the down pipe, then instead of a cat it just goes straight to the muffler. There is a swell on the pipe, but the muffler is completley loose and off the swell. This is how the previous owner did it, I didn't remove the cat.

Dynomax super turbo about $100 muffler and tail pipe, new cat oem fit $75-$100

Pictures:

f_Dsc00002m_3f52d28.jpg

f_Dsc00002m_995491b.jpg

f_Dsc00003m_614adc7.jpg

f_Dsc0004m_31c73cf.jpgp

Last edited:
Corparate security interviening will not let me see them (doesn't like photobucket or imageshack)

POS work sys. I would like to treat it like the fax machine from office space (take it to a field and smash the $hit out of it)
But I'm getting the picture (mentally)
Replace the cat, muffler, maybe the tailpipe
I have a renix downpipe if you need it shipping may be more than it's worth though

Ok I edited the original images.

So all I need is a new muffler, or the whole pipe assembly as well? How expensive would this be at a muffler shop?

Harlee&Tahoe said:
Dynomax super turbo about $100 muffler and tail pipe, new cat oem fit $75-$100
How broke are you? is the question
mufflers aren't a whole lot but I like to do things and be done with them
I replaced cracked exhaust man. and everything else
You can do these in your driveway for a lot less than muff shop. It's all slip fit but the muff shop will weld them for a leak free install

How's the tail pipe look?

I'll take a look at the tail pipe, but it's nothing a lil bit of welding can't fix. I can get my buddy to weld it on at the shop at work.

If I bought a new muffler, how would I attach it to the pipe coming from the engine like? The one with the swell.

you can cut the weld off the test pipe or is the testpipe bolted to bracket?
Grind off the old weld and go from there

What is the test pipe?

Do you think the muffler is screwed? What if I simply put it back over top of the exhaust pipe and where it has the little bulge there, got my buddy to weld it on?

test pipe is the portion that is where a catalytic converter would be
You can probably just weld it to play with it again later and again and again
Fix it and forget it

Oh okay. Yeah the test pipe is bolted to the bracket where the cat should be, and the muffler apparently sits on top of this test pipe. Are you suggesting getting rid of the test pipe and muffler, and buying a proper cat, muffler, and pipe setup?

yup that's what I'd do er did had the same problems.
Started with broken motor mounts and spongy transmission mount

Good Luck
Let us know how it all goes and what you ended up with
To finish thread for others in the future

Back