• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

After market sunroof problems

blackhawk411

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang.
I just recently bought a 98 XJ Sport. I had some problems after the purchase but most of the issues have been worked out.

My Jeep's got a Sunroof right now, it's after market since Jeep never offered sunroofs for XJs as far as I know. Well the thing doesn't even work and it leaks water into the cabin. I have no idea who the maker is but I hate this thing because the Southern California sun is very hot in long drives (I drive to work everyday 30min drive). It's quite irritating.

What can I do? I mean can I tint it any darker so the sun doesn't bother me so much? Can I just take the stupid thing off the car all together and maybe somehow have the bodyshop fill the gap? I don't know what's causing it to leak, the sunroof is electrical and it will tilt up but when it's supposed to slide back it just goes "clunk clucnk clack" and stops working. it will shut though which is good. What could be the problem?

You could carfully remove the glass and use it as a pattern on some diamond plate aluminium. Or just tint it and seal it closed with clear or black silicon. You can get caulking gun sized tubes from Home Depot.

i have a roof in our xj, its made by wabasto(sp?). when i had the front widnows tinted i also had the roof tinted. you can do it, just make sure you dont go darker than 35% or so. if you did limo on hte roof it can cause the glass to break in the heat.

robjohns said:
i have a roof in our xj, its made by wabasto(sp?). when i had the front widnows tinted i also had the roof tinted. you can do it, just make sure you dont go darker than 35% or so. if you did limo on hte roof it can cause the glass to break in the heat.

serious? How dark is 35%?? My sunroof in my Honda is pretty dark but it also has the visor that completely blocks off the sun. I hope 35 is pretty damn dark because i was going to do limo tint but not if its guna break it lol

I was gonna tint mine for the same reason.

what leads it to break? just absorbing all that heat?

if it's gonna break...I have the correct hinge and latch from another xj that I'll use on a piece of cut out sheet metal...cause I, too, cannot stand the sunlight shining on me unless the glass is out (up and down, non-electric, yay 1986)

Back