• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you pay to play? OHV funding

dailydrivin89

NAXJA Forum User
I am researching the willingness of OHV users to pay for places to recreate. We obviously already do to some extent, but I would like to get some opinions on whether other wheelers would mind helping with park fees, fund raising and volunteering. I know some organizations exist that do those functios but most of us don't actively belong to one so, on an individual basis, would you pay for more quality trails and areas?

Absolutely.

I would have NO problem paying an additional say $5, $10 or even $20 as a day use fee at an offroad facility to maintain a quality trail system, camping facilities, restrooms, trail signage, etc. This is assuming that all monies collected went directly back into the trail system and NOT into the states general fund.

John

Avanteone said:
Absolutely.

I would have NO problem paying an additional say $5, $10 or even $20 as a day use fee at an offroad facility to maintain a quality trail system, camping facilities, restrooms, trail signage, etc. This is assuming that all monies collected went directly back into the trail system and NOT into the states general fund.

John

X2

Self-policing and responsibility rather than handing over money to the Government. These are public lands, not private...so we should not have to pay to use. It's bad enough I'm already paying for a NW Forest Pass that is still questioned as being the right thing to have in certain areas. Clear as mud. This is assuming you're talking about National Forest stuff and not private land. ;)

But then I guess asking everyone to be responsible and courteous holds about as much water as asking the Government not to take money from special interest groups. :laugh:

I vote 'abstain'.

Originally Posted by Avanteone
Absolutely.

John

x3

KarlVP said:
I would pay to play. I used to do it on the east coast all the time.

For instance, at Uwharrie National Forrest, it was $5 a day or $35 a year.

That's junk. Why is this acceptable? Is the funding to the private sector to maintain or gov't?

The money should go towards shooting hippies:listenmus

ECKSJAY said:
That's junk. Why is this acceptable? Is the funding to the private sector to maintain or gov't?

The VERY few Gubment owned trails (tellico, URE) were pay to play. The money went into staff, maintenance, and LEO's for the trails.

The rest of the private areas were pay to play, and they were the same, the money was used to pay for the land lease, and for maintenance stuff. There were also a few very small (crozet, oak ridge (where camp jeep, VA is held)) private parks but they were invite only with maybe 2 or 3 pay to play wheeling weekends a year.

I would be all for a pay to play system out here. Something like at tellico or URE wouldn't be bad, we already pay for a NW forest pass. Isn't that close to the same thing, yet it affects all user groups. If there were a p2p system, we could afford more trail maintenance and enforcement. That is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Think I would be totally happy to pay. I worry that enthusiasts with less money might be excluded which is not a good thing. Although there are a couple people I have seen at Reiter.... :) Think the issue is precisely what John said if it goes to the general fund then it gets focused on unimportant things more administrative support for Olympia. The problem with targeted fees is that it costs so much to administer them that it sucks it off the target.

Ideas to target money at that would not be mandatory.

Offroad "specialized" license plate like some of the other ones we see on Priuses I could see the regular Rainier plate with a Jeep climbing it.

Expansion of the benefits and maybe the cost of the NW forest pass.

KarlVP said:
The VERY few Gubment owned trails (tellico, URE) were pay to play. The money went into staff, maintenance, and LEO's for the trails.

The rest of the private areas were pay to play, and they were the same, the money was used to pay for the land lease, and for maintenance stuff. There were also a few very small (crozet, oak ridge (where camp jeep, VA is held)) private parks but they were invite only with maybe 2 or 3 pay to play wheeling weekends a year.

I would be all for a pay to play system out here. Something like at tellico or URE wouldn't be bad, we already pay for a NW forest pass. Isn't that close to the same thing, yet it affects all user groups. If there were a p2p system, we could afford more trail maintenance and enforcement. That is a good thing, not a bad thing.

Gotcha, thanks. :D

Avanteone said:
Absolutely.

John

ECKSJAY said:
Self-policing and responsibility rather than handing over money to the Government. These are public lands, not private...so we should not have to pay to use. It's bad enough I'm already paying for a NW Forest Pass that is still questioned as being the right thing to have in certain areas. Clear as mud. This is assuming you're talking about National Forest stuff and not private land.

But then I guess asking everyone to be responsible and courteous holds about as much water as asking the Government not to take money from special interest groups.
I vote 'abstain'.

I agree with both of these comments 100%.
I think it really comes down to what we get for our money and how it will help protect the land that we use.

Michael

Thanks everyone that is all really helpful. Let's all pretend that the money would stay in the area specifically for our trails, I know its far fetched, but let's pretend. I have spent 100 times more money (and time) on gas trying to find a good spot to wheel compared to if there just was a few spots where I could play for 10$ or whatever. When I look at it like that it only makes sense to have a park or something organized.

Hi all,
Speaking of paying to play...I was wondering if anybody know where I can play with my XJ near Pittsburgh PA? I can't find anything out here. I just moved here from Folsom, CA which is really close to the Rubicon and a ton of other trails, and I'm dying to find anything. Please help, before I give up and start looking at Mustangs again, I got in alot of trouble with my last one.
:rattle:

Paragon, if it is still open. Rausch Creek kicks ass. Oak Ridge with the VA4WDA, GWNF (Gay), Tellico, OBX (virgina) URE, Crozet on the good weekends.

Hook up with NOVA. Northern Virginia Jeepers. They can point you in the right direction.

Back