• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to add extra inch or two to a RE 4.5" lift

vtechthis

NAXJA Forum User
Ive got a 98 XJ with a RE 4.5 lift i want to go an inch or two bigger any suggestions on how to go about doing this? I know its a dumb question but im new to the whole 4x4 scene used to be into sports cars.

poly spacers up front (or an ACOS) and an extended/boomerang shackle in the rear....

First off, why do you want to go bigger?

Anything over 4.5" and your going to want to get some Long arms or drop brackets up front.

In front you can use a poly spacer or ACOS...as mentioned.

IIRC the RE kit comes with 3.5" springs and a shackle. If you happen to have a stock shackle, your best bet would be to get a lift shackle. Otherwise your looking at new spring packs, or adding to yours (not AAL) using packs from a SUA application.

Whatever you do, don't use blocks!

Oh, and you should really search first!!!1

I forgot to mention that i have 2" poly spacers up front and the rubicon spring pack in rear. I dont have any vibes right now with a 1" transfercase drop but i plan on doing an SYE. Im guessing ill need lift shackles and taller springs in front. Whatelse do i need? Also i have some play in the front end nothing major but it doesnt seem to be due to bad ball joints or TRE. steering box?

beatassXJ said:
TRAILREADYXJ, Why do you say no blocks?

Blocks are well known to promote axle wrap, they can also break or spit out while wheeling. They will also wear your springs much faster because they act like a lever when the axle torques, this makes your springs a lovely "S" shape. Basically look at it this way, when you hit the gas, the tires spin forward, but the axle wants to spin the other way. The less resistance to twisting, the more wrap you will have.

There are ways to reduce the wrap such as adding a traction bar, but IMO this is a lot of work just to run blocks. Some aftermarket spring perches add lift (like a block, but welded on), but these are generally made longer to help counter wrap.

Last edited:
vtechthis said:
I forgot to mention that i have 2" poly spacers up front and the rubicon spring pack in rear. I dont have any vibes right now with a 1" transfercase drop but i plan on doing an SYE. Im guessing ill need lift shackles and taller springs in front. Whatelse do i need? Also i have some play in the front end nothing major but it doesnt seem to be due to bad ball joints or TRE. steering box?

What front springs do you have now?
Yes, you will need a SYE and CV shaft.
Yes, the slop could be the box, make sure the bolts through the frame are tight. I also highly suggest reinforcment plates like the ones from C-rok.
Again, you'll want long arms or DBs, I just lowered mine back to ~5" from 6.5" because it sucked with shortarms! I decided to wait on longarms until I get my 44 in there.
What size tires you running you need more lift? I plan on 36s at my current height, that's what the sawzall is for. Low COG is your friend!

Tenny said:
What about these products for the rear?
http://www.tntcustoms.com/webv5/ubolteliminators.asp

I know they are not blocks, but would it also promote axle wrap? Or since it 'couples' the axle it's ok?

Because they are longer than stock and contact more of the spring, they help resist wrap. If they not for that, yes they would promote wrap.

Since they are welded to the axle they obviously won't spit out, but if the welds broke, you'd sure be in trouble :explosion .

TRAILREADYXJ said:
Since they are welded to the axle they obviously won't spit out, but if the welds broke, you'd sure be in trouble :explosion .

UBEs will work, ive heard nothing but good things about them, i have a set in my garage (1" flavor) and they are mighty beefy and extremely well built and welded, and HUGE

IMG_4683.jpg

and they come with high clearance shock mounts
IMG_4678.jpg

some more pics
IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4684.jpg

not welded up but u can see the size

also designed with a raised bumpstop
IMG_4681.jpg

TrailreadyXJ, u can say the same thing for the stock perches (a lot less likely due to the Ubolt), but i do see ur point

hey Bmyohn, How wide are those? 4" or 6"?

I'm making my own set and I have 4x4 box tube that I plan on using, just wondering what TNT's are.

Yeah, I'm setting 1" back, I think I'll have enough room to use the 4" bit, I'm goin to truss it a lil like thiers for more contact area

yeah, 4" should be good, they have about 1/2" or so on each side of the bolt holes

if u need more pics or specs, just let me know and i can snap some for u

bmyohn said:
UBEs will work, ive heard nothing but good things about them, i have a set in my garage (1" flavor) and they are mighty beefy and extremely well built and welded, and HUGE

TrailreadyXJ, u can say the same thing for the stock perches (a lot less likely due to the Ubolt), but i do see ur point

I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with them, just to make sure they are welded properly or bad things will happen.

Back