• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What year front axles will fit my 98 Classic?

TJJEEPER

NAXJA Forum User
My daughter got hit by an uninsured driver on the left, front corner, driving the tire back into the fender, bending the axle. Thus totaling the Jeep. The XJ is in great shape otherwise, so I hate to scrap it, so I'm looking for parts to fix it myself. What years were the same components as the '98? Axle, tie rod, steering box, fender, door, plus probably a few more things once I really get into it. I'm sure it's a stock D30 with 3.55 gears. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Link below are pics from my local club forum.

http://forums.we-go-offroad.com/viewtopic.php?t=2891&highlight=

By the way, any year model will fit the bracketry, but 2000 and newer front axles are low pinion, and a lot of early models (I think pre 94) had disconnect front axles.

Other minor changes such as brakes, differing fasteners etc. become factors when you go beyond the 97-99 range.

You sue the hell out of them. Yes its time consuming and a big headache but its the only way to get what you are due.

Actually the guy has been pretty cool about the whole thing. He insisted from the day of the accident that he would pay for the damage. He agreed to pay $6000 for the Cherokee, and has paid me $800 so far. Time will tell if he follows through. But my daughter had to have something to drive, so the next weekend I found her an 03 Liberty Renegade, she only had the Cherokee a couple of years, so I/we are now paying on both :wow: That's why I'd like to get the Cherokee fixed up so I can sell it and ease the pain a little. :gee: But, my 12 year old son, Will, wants me to keep it, and fix it up into a trail rig. I like that idea too, if I could afford it. Hmmmm, what to do, what to do?????:looney:

Last edited:
A few things to consider. Goodburbon was right, check out the underside real well. I think some folks on here have had some luck with pulling out bent unibody frame. Might search.
Will it now have a salvage or totalled title? This is a consideration if trying to resell.

silent_bob_662001 said:
A few things to consider. Goodburbon was right, check out the underside real well. I think some folks on here have had some luck with pulling out bent unibody frame. Might search.
Will it now have a salvage or totalled title? This is a consideration if trying to resell.
Insurance didn't get into it, body shop just gave me an estimate. If I fix it myself, except for external body work, how will that effect the title?

If it aint reported, your straight

falcon556 said:
What's the difference between 96 and 97-99?

Go to www.car-part.com and search for a specific part for a specific model year vehicle. The site will return a range of years of donor vehicles. You can use this as a rough guide to what parts will exchange between what model years. Hollanders Guide is what the junkyards use to cross reference parts for swapping.

goodburbon said:
By the way, any year model will fit the bracketry, but 2000 and newer front axles are low pinion, and a lot of early models (I think pre 94) had disconnect front axles.

Other minor changes such as brakes, differing fasteners etc. become factors when you go beyond the 97-99 range.

pre-91 has disco and 91+ was non-disco for the XJ. The pre-91 axle can be modified(easy mod) to be non-disco and you can use 97+ shafts with the larger 297 joints.

Do you not have uninsurred motorist? I do and it has saved me a couple of times. Check your policy.

Tim_MN said:
Go to www.car-part.com and search for a specific part for a specific model year vehicle. The site will return a range of years of donor vehicles. You can use this as a rough guide to what parts will exchange between what model years. Hollanders Guide is what the junkyards use to cross reference parts for swapping.

Interesting, it shows interchangeability from 92-99

Jess said:
pre-91 has disco and 91+ was non-disco for the XJ. The pre-91 axle can be modified(easy mod) to be non-disco and you can use 97+ shafts with the larger 297 joints.

Do you not have uninsurred motorist? I do and it has saved me a couple of times. Check your policy.

No, just had liability on this one. I did find out that "no-fault" only covers medical expenses.:dunno:

dizzymac said:
If it was hit hard enough to bend a differential I would be concerned about the "frame". What did the body shop say about it?

He didn't see any visible frame damage, the lower control arm collapsed and probably saved the "frame".

Back