• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel specs for maxxis CC's

zackmerrill

NAXJA Forum User
i plan to run maxxis creppy crawlers size: 37x12.50r15
maxxis recommends a ten inch wide rim.
i think that 10in is a bit wide for a 12.5in tire.
i need new wheels since i am changing my bolt pattern, and i haven't ordered any yet.

my question is what are the specs on your guys rims that are running THESE TIRES(both back spacing and rim width)?

my thoughts are that if i ever want to run a different tire that rim will be a bit wide.
would a 9in wide rim be a good compromise?
also what back spacing do people like with ANY OTHER 37 inch tires? (i'm not worried about the law)

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

that is on an 8" wide rim.

when i first got them they were very round and i had to run them at 14psi on the street to get a decent wear pattern. the more they broke in the higher pressure im running, im at 17 now and it seems to have leveled off.

i saw nothing about rim reccomendations so i went with these because i had them lying around and wanted a tighter bead than my old 10" rims. they are 4" backspaced and i like it (but my axles are 64" wms)

I ran my Creepys on an 8 inch rim with 3.75 backspacing. I then added beadlocks to them, so they are "9 inch" rims now give or take.

IMHO, for a 12.5 tire, 10 inch rim is too much. The low psi we see on the trail, a 10 inch rim just doesnt cut it. And the creepys are a very stiff sidewalled tire. I run mine at 4psi on the trail, and you can barely see a sidewall buldge. On the street I run them at 12 in the front and 15 in the rear. At those PSI's the rear still crowns a little bit.

Here's a pic of them on my 8 inch wheels with beadlocks at 4psi.

dsc03294cu4.jpg

Jes said:
I'm running a 37X12.50-16 variety with a 8.5" wide rim and 4" BS.

about how far out past the body do your tires sick out (w/o flares)?
are you happy with the dimensions of your wheels?
if you could pick any width and back spacing would you change any thing?

sorry for all the questions its just that i am working on a waggy width d44 similar to yours jes. i can have the rims built to almost any specs and i want to get it right.

zackmerrill said:
what does that mean?

i suppose i should add that i plan on running stazworks double bead locks

The tires "crowning" means only the center of the tread is making contact with the ground. See picture.
dsc03038pw5.jpg

The double beadlocks should allow you to run them at lower psi. I would play with the pressure until you have the "crowning" thing going on, then bring it down until you have the full tread contacting the pavement. You may WANT a little crowning for better fuel efficency.

zackmerrill said:
about how far out past the body do your tires sick out (w/o flares)?
are you happy with the dimensions of your wheels?
if you could pick any width and back spacing would you change any thing?

sorry for all the questions its just that i am working on a waggy width d44 similar to yours jes. i can have the rims built to almost any specs and i want to get it right.

The tires stick out about six inches beyond the fenders.
Actually very pleased so far, I don't think I'd change anything about the setup.
standard.jpg

Be aware that if you are going with 15" rims you may run into steering/rim interference if you run a wheel with more than say 3.75" BS. Just something to consider.

agreed. I had wheel weights on my wheels with 4" of backspacing on a j-10 dana44 (same as waggy only 3" wider) and they just grazed the tie rod ends.

Back