• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee "moonroof" in Comanche?

Root Moose

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a `89 Limited that is pretty much all parted out and I want to get the carcass hauled away.

Thing is, it has a factory glass moonroof in it and I was thinking about sawzalling it out to put into the cab of a MJ once I get around to getting an MJ.

From looking at MJs it looks like the roof "profile" is quite a bit different than a XJ.

Will the XJ sunroof follow the shape of the MJ roof?

Failing the roof working in an MJ there is no reason why I couldn't weld it in above the rear passenger seats in my "good" XJ, right?

TIA

Cut the whole roof off as one peice.. a lot of guys would give you a nice chunk for it.. Id think its way to big for the MJ

Factory

I don't know if it works or not with the cherokee one. But you can buy generic ones that fit quite fine. But I will say, the MJ/XJ roof is QUITE different.

If your XJ one leaks, I'd not save it. Stupid roof things.

Dual sun roofs.

ok, here's my observations:

the factory sunroof in the MJ looks identical to the factory sunroof in the XJ we just picked up.

same knobs, same glass.
However, the gasket looks very different. Perhaps that's the only difference.
I can't tell you much more, as I'm not going to rip the headliner out of the XJ to find out.

Both are 87's.

Cool, thx. In that case I will sawzall the puppy out and hang onto it.

If you decide that you don't want to do anything with it, I'd very much like to have the glass.

I looked into replacement if it ever got broken and it's not available anymore.

Now that I've got two factory sunroofs in the driveway, some spare glass would be nice to have around.

I'm keeping my glass...but I'm making a panel out of sheet steel with reinforcements in it so it won't sink or w/e. I don't like the sun on me all the time, but still want the option to pull the roof out and have it open.

Back