• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear problems

5.2poweredxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I got a d44 that I want to put in my Xj it out of 77 scout but it has 4.09 gears and I got a set of 4.10 that are going in the front. These aren't close enough are they? I bought set of gears that claim to be 4.10 and they came today and ended up being an other set of 4.09 both set I've got have 45 ring and 11 pinion teeth. So should try to find a 4.10 gears and ask the seller why there not right?

OR
Should I build the front d44 that I got to and swap both in? Then I would have both set of matching gears and axles.

If you your wondering why the d44 I got a 5.2 in my xj and I need the strength.

They will be fine, it goes that way with a lot of axles.. some have 4.09, 4.10, 4.11's, all fine... then bigger you get 4.56, 4.58, ect.. 4.88, 4.86, ect.. They are fine, dead on is not a must. Some axles just were made and ended up having slightly off numbers.

Usually about .08 off is considered 'the same'. The difference in a new tire vs a worn tire is greater..

You guys make me feel better about putting the d44.

I still swaping the rear then since it also has posi unit which is better than having an open carrer.

Next question can the front d30 bolt be changed to 5 5.5?

5.2poweredxj said:
You guys make me feel better about putting the d44.

I still swaping the rear then since it also has posi unit which is better than having an open carrer.

Next question can the front d30 bolt be changed to 5 5.5?

Not highly sought after, but you can get some spidertrax spacer's/adapters....I think they make some....

Justin

Warn makes a 5x5.5 hub kit for the xj/tj dana 30, as well. Its costly, but it does offer 30 spline outers and hubs. Expect to spend $850 or so.

There is a rumor that our favorite axle manufacturer is working on a 5x5.5 unit bearing for the xj/tj, but I haven't heard an update on that in a very long time, so the project may have died.

-C

don't the WJ knuckles have a 5.5 pattern?

Something to consider.

Might just want to swap that out as well, rather than putting that much money in a D30.

87manche said:
don't the WJ knuckles have a 5.5 pattern?

Something to consider.

Might just want to swap that out as well, rather than putting that much money in a D30.

You need to run the XJ/TJ unit bearing though, to keep the proper spacing of the axle/u-joint, so you are back at 5x4.5

Some people have run the WJ unit bearing, re-drilled for 5x5.5, but it doesnt really center the u-joint between the balljoints correctly, and the xj stub axle is a hair short so you don't have room for the safety washer/cotter pin assembly on the stub. Clean-RC is running a setup like that, hey may chime in. You're better off doing the warn 5x5.5 kit on WJ knuckles IMHO, although I highly respect clean-rc's opinion so I could be wrong. *shrug*

Even if you go that route though, you're still putting that money into a dana 30. ;)

The big problem I have with putting the front d44 is the pumpkin is on the wrong side. I still need to find lock hubs and brake calipers. The is all there but the brakes. It looks like the end spline of the front shafts is 27 and the axle date is 78 so anyone know what hubs I need?

you need a new axle or TC case that has a passsenger side output...

cal said:
Some people have run the WJ unit bearing, re-drilled for 5x5.5, but it doesnt really center the u-joint between the balljoints correctly, and the xj stub axle is a hair short so you don't have room for the safety washer/cotter pin assembly on the stub.

Ok lets diss spell that rumor... The WJ hubs I am running have been drilled to 5x5.5 bolt pattern, yes.. My u-joint is centered in the ball joints correctly, yes... The stub shaft does not have room for the cotter pin, yes correct.. The stub is a hare short when using the WJ hubs only... I have it torqued properly (with a torque wrench-not a gun) and it has held up this far with 20k of city driving...

Honestly if you have the money to do it right, get the warn kit.. IF your on a budget options are always out there, and much like opinions.. The stock WJ hubs are 5x5 bolt pattern not 5x5.5 you will have to have them machined to work that way.. I had three done when I did, so I have a spare.. This was a temporary solution untill the time/funds are avalible for my 44 project.. Just my .02$ worth..

Clean-RC said:
Ok lets diss spell that rumor... The WJ hubs I am running have been drilled to 5x5.5 bolt pattern, yes.. My u-joint is centered in the ball joints correctly, yes... The stub shaft does not have room for the cotter pin, yes correct.. The stub is a hare short when using the WJ hubs only... I have it torqued properly (with a torque wrench-not a gun) and it has held up this far with 20k of city driving...

Honestly if you have the money to do it right, get the warn kit.. IF your on a budget options are always out there, and much like opinions.. The stock WJ hubs are 5x5 bolt pattern not 5x5.5 you will have to have them machined to work that way.. I had three done when I did, so I have a spare.. This was a temporary solution untill the time/funds are avalible for my 44 project.. Just my .02$ worth..

As I said, I do trust your opinion (opinion/facts/whatever).. ;)
I thought I remembered *you* saying the ujoint was a little off, I guess I'm wrong? Its not the first time.

I too agree the warn kit is the way to go.

Back