• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gremlins!!!!??

Loyd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everybody! How's it going? I have a 98' XJ, all stock except for the bumpers that I built a few weeks ago. Last week my wife told me that while she was driving that the "Airbag" light came on and the tach and speedo went dead. I kinda blew it off, then the last day or two its happened to me on several ocassions. It only seems to happen at crusing speeds (50-70ish). No spitting or sputtering, everything runs fine! Usually happens for about 15- 45 seconds. Also the rest of the guages in the cluster appear to be normal when this happens. Anyone ever had this issue with their ride?? I'm currently down to the Jeep as sole transportation, it will be extremely bad if this one lays down also.

there is a TSB about the connectors for the gauge cluster, remove the plug from the gauge cluster, lightly sand all the connectors with a thin emery board, and apply dielectric grease. should fix ya right up. search for the "no bus" error.

you wont find anything obvious. the tsb mentioned in the other post doesnt work very well. the BEST way is to replace the connector. also the wires from the new conector should se soldered for the best results.

I have a similiar problem, my tach and speedo will momentarily die and then come back on. It will do it off and on for a couple of days and then wont do it for a couple weeks. I am sure its the connector but just procrastinating taking the thing apart.

Back