• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01' XJ electrical issue (resolved)

imperialxj

NAXJA Forum User
I had my 01 xj apart in my garage for about 6 months and just took it out for the 1st time after fixing the brakes and shocks on Saturday. I had no left turn signal operation at all and intermittent 4-Way hazard function as well. I checked bulbs and they were Okay. I put the xj in the shop for this problem. They told me they found it was a bad turn/hazard switch inside the steering column and replaced it. Everything is back to normal they tell me. Has this problem occurred with any other late model xj's ? My xj has the dana 35 rear and I had to replace the outer grease seals as they leaked and got gear lube all over everything inside the brake drums on both sides and my wheel cylinders were also bad and new ones were installed by me. I put OME shocks on all 4 corners and the matching steering stabilizer. I only drove the jeep about 10 miles so far and can't wait to pick it up at the shop on Thursday night.

bad hazard/turn switch sounds about right. they do go bad. now on to the next problem.....

how much was the fix? if you dont mind me asking.

The shop told me the switch alone was $94. I'm sure its going to be a large bill. I broke the top shock bolts on the left rear and then I broke two easy-outs, one in each bolt hole. So the shop had to deal with that for me and install both rear shocks and while they were at it, I had them install my new class-3 hitch that I never put on for 1 year. I put my xj up on jack stands in early march and I just got it drivable again on saturday so I'll hope all else keeps working when we start using it as a daily driver again.

Its funny really. My shocks were originals that the factory installed. I used PB Blaster on the bolts for the axle and they came off pretty easy. My jeep has 79000+ miles on her and really has no rust forming yet. My mechanic is a local shop and he says that these shock bolt break all the time on Cherokees. I had no problems replacing the front shocks or steering shock myself. It was my 1st time doing outer grease seals myself, and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I admit I did borrow a grease seal install tool from a friend to smack in the new seals.

Here is my bill breakdown. I picked up my 01' xj from the shop this morning. Its pretty much all labor:

Remove & Replace Rear shocks - $70 ( 1 shock was removed already)
Install supplied class 3 hitch - $70
Bleed and adjust rear brakes - $35
Install supplied rear flex brake hose - $49
Remove broken Easy-Outs in top shock bolts - $70

NEW turn signal / Hazard lights switch - $94.18
Remove & Replace switch labor - $77
Shop supplies - $1.41

Total bill with Tax - $505.21

Follow up - Now the turn signals do not automatically cancel like they used to. I have to turn them off everytime. I was driving to work (62 miles hwy) and the Check Engine Light came on. It was ON when I parked my Jeep in March so this was no surprise here. Its gotta go back on Monday.........

holy crap......................................................
Now I have the same problem with the turn signals. When my hazards are on, the passenger side front lights dont flash. what I have to do is if I want them all to work at the same time, I gotta turn on the pass. turning signal and then hit the hazards and ding there are all my hazards! BUT i do also have manual turning signals... which is a pain because i forget and I end up being that butthead on the road driving 30 miles in the fast lane... with his drivers side signal on. I'm guessing its the turning signal switch...

Back