• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you do

93XJMan

NAXJA Forum User
Its been very hot here a couple days. My electrical fan has been running a lot on long drives and its causing my alternator to overheat. Has anybody every had this happen to them? What should I do to correct it?

You can move up to a bigger output alternator, use hood vents to relieve some heat, or hood spacers on the back, so the hood will act like a cowl induction hood. If you go with a higher output alternator, you can also run dual electric fans. Make sure your cooling system is in good shape too. HTH a bit.

just thought i would mention, i just installed Mako's 1/2" hood spacer and it did not lower my "engine temp" according to the oem gauge. it hovers right over 210 just like it did before... whether idling or running. it may have lowered the "underhood" temp, but didn't translate to anything noticeable on my dash gauges.

Check the operation of the clutch on your belt-driven fan. Get the engine up to 210 and then shut it off. If you can spin the fan easily with your hand, the clutch is bad.

cklaus said:
just thought i would mention, i just installed Mako's 1/2" hood spacer and it did not lower my "engine temp" according to the oem gauge. it hovers right over 210 just like it did before... whether idling or running. it may have lowered the "underhood" temp, but didn't translate to anything noticeable on my dash gauges.

you wont lower your engine run temp below 195 without changing the stock 195f thermostat. and if you go to a lower temp thermostat it wont let the engine warm up all the way. The ecu will keep the mill in cold start mode and fuel mileage will go to poo. under hood teamps will go down but if you are running about 200-210 your jeep is fine

Back