• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dilemma

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, so as some of you know, I Have a 4:1 sitting in my garage for over a year now. Why isn't it in? Cause of gearing issues. How so? OK, 35's with 4.88's and a stick shift are not too bad in 4L (2.72) but 4H is pretty much nearly useless. Now if I put 4:1 in I have a feeling that my 4L is gonig to get used as I need it, but not then I will be stuck either revving it up in 5th or running it in nearly usless 4H. So.... does anyone have a similar setup? fairly deep gears and a 4:1? How do you like it?
Oh yeah, my ideal solution to that problem is to put 5.13's in axles so that I regain usability out of 4H and then the 4:1 will be really sweet with a deep 1st ;)

no answer to your dilemma, but 4.88 and 35 are a problem? are you rock crawling.

i have 4.10 with 31's and think its a good combo, but i dont rock crawl.

I used to think 4.88s were low enough with 35s until this summer when I went on sierra fest.

Now I want a 4:1.
And I have an automatic.

Do you use 4hi that much? Have you considered a 2low?

Kejtar said:
OK, so as some of you know, I Have a 4:1 sitting in my garage for over a year now. Why isn't it in? Cause of gearing issues. How so? OK, 35's with 4.88's and a stick shift are not too bad in 4L (2.72) but 4H is pretty much nearly useless. Now if I put 4:1 in I have a feeling that my 4L is gonig to get used as I need it, but not then I will be stuck either revving it up in 5th or running it in nearly usless 4H. So.... does anyone have a similar setup? fairly deep gears and a 4:1? How do you like it?
Oh yeah, my ideal solution to that problem is to put 5.13's in axles so that I regain usability out of 4H and then the 4:1 will be really sweet with a deep 1st ;)

Remi, what's first gear? 3.83? Fourth is 1:1?

3.83:1 x 1:1 in 4Hi = 3.83:1

1:1 x 4:1 in 4Lo = 4:1

So 4th gear in 4Lo is essentially the same final ratio as 1st in 4Hi...nearly useless.

So what's the problem?

Don't know how much money you have to spend but.......I understand that the AX-15 transmission is basically the same as Toyota's RF-151 Turbo trans or RF-150 V6 trans. Now, Marlin Crawler can rebuild either trans with a 5.15:1 ist gear http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transmission/5a.htm maybe it can be fitted into the AX-15(?) ......Just a thought :dunno: --------Hans

Last edited:
Kejtar said:

If 4h is nearly useless wouldn't that make 2h nearly useless?! :confused:

I have an AX15/5.0:1/5.13:1 combo and when I had 35s I thought it was about perfect.

Ive got 4.56's and 33's with a 4:1 kit,I love it!

well... I bit the bullet. I measured things out and I should have my driveshaft ready for pickup tomorrow. Then all I have to do is bolt up the 4:1 tcase in and I'll be set. Winter project tough.... D44 front and 5.13's all around :D

Back