• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bumping noise when turning left?

jstone8952

NAXJA Forum User
when i turn left i get a bumping in the drivers side by the wheel. its speed is directly related to my speed and i can feel it in my seat. what is it? how do i trouleshoot finding out?

have your girlfriend/dad/kid sister/friend/mom/bum you paid $5/president/teacher get in the jeep and turn the wheel back and forth.

look at all your steering joints one at a time while they are turning the wheel... pay particular attention to both ends of the trackbar, the steering box, the pittman arm, the drag link, and tie rod ends...

my money is on the trackbar joint being worn out...

That started for me when I got bigger tires. The tire rubs on the control arm. (I think that is what it is) On mine there is nothing 'wrong' but it will eventually wear down the tread. (only when it is cranked hard over) It does not do it at all turning right.

grease gun into zerk fitting, pump handle.

get a haynes or chiltons manual if you are just learning. you got to start somewhere.

in the old days, cars went in the shop for an oil change and lube job. now days most joints on cars are sealed and dont require lube, but the good ol xj still has to be lubed. there are other parts that need to be tubed also. tie rod ends, lower ball joint(IIRC the upper is sealed, or the other way around), and driveshaft ujoint and slip yokes.

ill prob end up getting a book- thats what i did when i had an explorer... i dont have much experience at all but with the xploder i bought the book and was able to replace the heads with some from a mustang gt and it ran pretty good. i just cant diagnose things and am new to 4x4. alot more fun than going out the the gandy bridge and getting speeding tickets...

jstone8952 said:
ill prob end up getting a book- thats what i did when i had an explorer... i dont have much experience at all but with the xploder i bought the book and was able to replace the heads with some from a mustang gt and it ran pretty good. i just cant diagnose things and am new to 4x4. alot more fun than going out the the gandy bridge and getting speeding tickets...

we all started somewhere and each vehicle has there own characteristics. good luck, this is a great forum and a whole lot of wisdom. just remember to search a little bit because the answers are usually there.

yeah ive seen that. good stress relief taking off the monkey suit and getting greasy. im just too poor usually to do anything magnificant.

Back