• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Attn:Code pulling experts

RoadTrippin

NAXJA Forum User
So I had heard somewhere that by holding down the ODO reset and turning the key three times quickly you can pull the codes off a 00 XJ. So I figured what the hey, why not. I held down the reset and turned it 3 times and 2.5 was displayed in the ODO. Not knowing what it was I tried again but this time left the key turned and it counted up from 000000 to 999999 checking the gauges and what not. After it ran its test it just displayed the mileage. My question is what does the 2.5 that was displayed when I would turn the key to the off position mean?

TIA

I found a link http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoECUcodes.htm
That is assuming that 2.5 means 25 my IAC (idle air control sensor/motor) and wiring may be faulty. First off where would the be under that hood (diagrams would help as I couldnt find anything online or in several manuals, second considering I have no idea how long its been like this since I didnt know I could pull the codes without a scanner till now is it that bad to let it go, lastly where could I find one of these?

The key clicky trick won't work on later model XJ's. Works on some earlier 97's, but nothing later than that. What you witnessed was merely a diagnostics check of your gauge cluster....

Ivan said:
The key clicky trick won't work on later model XJ's. Works on some earlier 97's, but nothing later than that. What you witnessed was merely a diagnostics check of your gauge cluster....
Even though there have been other similar instances (as documented on link above) on other late model XJS where this has happened?

Lemme try to rephrase this, If I hold down the ODO reset and turn the key 3 times i get '2.5' It wont show this ANY OTHER TIME. If I hold down the ODO then turn 3 times and let it stay in the on position rather than turning it back off it will cycle through and due a cluster check but displays nothing at the end except mileage.

Is the Jeep running? If so, just take it down to Autozone...they will read the codes for you for free. As Ivan said, the key trick only works on some of the early 97's.

Back