• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trouble starting

cj11

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 97 4.0 about 120000 miles. It runs good havent had to many problems but lately the fuel gauge jumps around and in the morning when I go to start it I can crank it for 30 seconds or so and it will not start it turns over but wont start. The let the key go and turn it again and it fires right up drive for acouple of minutes shut it down and it will start right back up. If I let it sit for 2 to 3 hours It does it all over again. What the hell could it be Please any help would be great.

bad starter?

Not the starter it cranks the engine turns it seems like fuel related. I just wanted to know if any one else had this problem and what the did to fix it.

not sure if your 97 fuel system is set up the same as my 92,but when my 92 did that it was the fuel pump bleeding pressure off while it sat for a couple hours. actually mine was so bad before I changed it that it would crank for awhile if I let it sit for more than 20 minutes. a new fuel pump changed things,it now starts in less than 4 seconds 99% of the time. you can check this by hooking a fuel pressure gauge up to the schreader(sp?) valve on the fuel rail. mine would have zero pounds of pressure after sitting a few hours,after I changed the pump,it would hold pressure overnight. hope this helps!! Ben

I am having the same problem in my 1989.

I think it is probably the pump or the filter, but I am not sure which.

What is the proper fuel pressure immediately after starting and shutting off and after 24 hours?

Thanks!

Back