• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad throwout bearing?

ScienceguyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
In every gear I hear a popping noise if I hit the gas too hard and can feel it in the drive train too... If I ease the gas pedal down it won't do it. The clutch has over 119k (however it's not slipping yet) on it so it's probably due but I'd like to try and narrow the problem down. I'm pretty sure it's not in the t-case or rear diff since i've recently replaced the ring and pinion in the diff and chain and front output sprocket in the t-case. It's not a U-joint either.

98 XJ with 5.5" Rubicon Express Extreme Duty Lift Kit, Rancho RS 5000 Shocks, 33" BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Power slot rotors, Tom Wood's CV custom drive shaft with an Advance Adapters SYE, roof cargo rack for spare with KC highlights, high flow cat, glass pack, Jet stage 2 chip, Jet 180 degree thermostat, K&N FIPK, Bushwacker fender flares, Richmond ring and pinion 8.25", NP231, AX-15, 4.0L, D30...

Last edited:
not sure bout the popping noise, you will hear and feel a throwout brg. while driving, just depress the clutch pedel a bit while going down the road, you will feel it.

Sorry, I just got a brainstorm, if you sure your hearing a popping, may be clutch plate fork issues.

Definitely a noise associated with a jolt in the drivetrain when I hit the gas too hard.

Any other thoughts?

yeah how bout motor or transmission mounts. If the engine is under more load when accelarating causing more torque on the mounnts. I bet they are mushroomed out and it's your exhaust touching the body or something for the brief instant of accelaration.

X2 on the mounts, could also be u-joints, control arm bushings, shock bushings...

Engine mounts look good, I can't move the engine much by myslef. The 8 tranny bolts under the tranny look good and I can't move it much. The front driveshaft doesn't seem to have much play too it but I've already got the U-joints for it so I might as well start there this weekend.

Pulled the front driveshaft, that wasn't it :(

Back