• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS Broke while cleaning

blathan

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i didn't actually get to clean it yet. I took both bolts off and took the lock nut off and threaded the big bolt back on enuff to pry it off like i was told to do and the f$%king thing broke!! two of the four little threaded thingys broke right on off. I was only able to get the unit slid off one inch. I gotta be able to drive this thing to work in the morning. I also have to get it to pass inspection at the end of the month (reverse lights out). Any ideas for saving this unit? It's too expensive for my budget right now and i need it cleaned and fully operational soon. The unit is still stuck on there. any suggestions??? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like quite a mess.

For now you can "bypass" the NSS. Look at the pic I posted in:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=92560

If you jumper across the B & C terminals on the harness side, you'll be able to start.

When I removed mine, I had problems too. There is likely a lot of crud on the shaft. Try using some solvent to clean any grease/dirt off. I had to GENTLY work around the shaft moving it a tiny bit each time until I could get my fingers behind it for the final pull. If you broke the mounts off that hold it together, it may be unsalvageable.

If you have a salvage yard nearby, you could get one there. There are some on eBay.

You can do the bypass so you can use it,but I wouldn't get to used to it, very dangerous to operate without it,I don't think you would want it hanging over your head that you ran over someone because you were trying to save a few bucks.

Try http://www.fordandsons.com I got one delivered from them for about $25. They were great to work with and wanted to make certain that I had the right part.

dizzymac said:
You can do the bypass so you can use it,but I wouldn't get to used to it, very dangerous to operate without it,I don't think you would want it hanging over your head that you ran over someone because you were trying to save a few bucks.

In case I wasn't clear before, I meant it when I said "for now". This will get you going but I wouldn't recommend you keep it like this. Get a replacement as soon as you can. Besides, your backup lights won't work either until you do.

Back