• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil change problem

magimerlin

NAXJA Forum User
I did an oil change and now have a slight knocking sound. And yes I already searched and read ALOT of threads. My beast is an 89 cherokee 4.0 auto 4x4. I put in 15w40 delo 400 conventional oil not synthetic oil. I just got the jeep acouple months ago and this is her first oil change. At the same time I did plugs aswell (champion resisters not platinum just regulars) torque converter and flex plate are both tight. When I drained the oil was rather black kinda thick but but not like 20w50 thick. Any ideas would be great. Thank you

Piston slap would be my first guess. Do you have good oil pressure? How many miles on her? Did you change the filter at the same time?

I have about 20-30 psi at idle, she has about 170,000 on her, yes I changed the filter at the same time. Thank you

its a jeep they make noise and runlike that forever....

would you say its valves or a defined knock.

check the spark plug gaps.
and for the correct amount of oil.

why so thick on the oil? thats diesel oil. 5w30 would be my recommendation for conventional. I am using 5w-50 synthetic in my Jeep and 1995 Tran Am (5w at start up, 50w when all warmed up) awesome oil (Ford GT uses this weight) expensive though. 0w40 is another good option.

Oil technology has really advanced and I hope people are taking advantage.
the first number 0w is your cold or start up weight. You want this to be low so your engine builds up psi faster and isn't goo in the bottom of your oil pan

the second number is what is the great part. a 50 wieght is a great viscosity it was just hard to achieve before synthetics. Being able to have a 0 or 5 viscosity at start up and a 40 or 50 when warmed up and needed is a great thing.

just my .02

Thread Hi-Jack.

20-50 is not a problem. Yes oil technology has improved, but he lives in Houston, not AK. 20w is not some goo at starts.

Back to topic...hate to sound cynical, but maybe PO put a thickener in to quiet the engine prior to selling. My sisters 2001 has piston slap and has for tens of thousands of miles. Changing the plugs, did you introduce a Knock? Timing good?

I dont care what state you live in, I wouldnt go past 10w 40. And the 5w 50 might be a good oil for a ford gt but that is a different beast. Change your oil and see what you get. Its cheap

poopy01 said:
I dont care what state you live in, I wouldnt go past 10w 40. And the 5w 50 might be a good oil for a ford gt but that is a different beast. Change your oil and see what you get. Its cheap

my 89 knocks with 225K at idle, no big deal. i have used 20-50 without any problems and i now use 15-40 delo without problems. search will bring up great posts about different grades, viscosity and detergents. nothing wrong with delo 15-40 in the renix engine. i also have good pressure. 60 when cold and 40 when hot.

poopy01 said:

Why is that?

Read that HUGE thread about newer oils causing problems in our older engines.

Looks to me from that as if the 15W-40 diesel oil is perfect, especially if it has the right specs as far as stampings and zinc levels.

Nine Mile said:
Why is that?

Read that HUGE thread about newer oils causing problems in our older engines.

Looks to me from that as if the 15W-40 diesel oil is perfect, especially if it has the right specs as far as stampings and zinc levels.

x2

im a believer in the 15w-40 deisel oil

magimerlin said:
I did an oil change and now have a slight knocking sound. And yes I already searched and read ALOT of threads. My beast is an 89 cherokee 4.0 auto 4x4. I put in 15w40 delo 400 conventional oil not synthetic oil. I just got the jeep acouple months ago and this is her first oil change. At the same time I did plugs aswell (champion resisters not platinum just regulars) torque converter and flex plate are both tight. When I drained the oil was rather black kinda thick but but not like 20w50 thick. Any ideas would be great. Thank you

what oil filter did you use. makes a big diference on the 4.0 for some reason.

search for fram filter and see what i mean.

89xj said:
what oil filter did you use. makes a big diference on the 4.0 for some reason.

search for fram filter and see what i mean.

I used a Wix oil filter on mine. I would never use a Fram on anything. To many horor stories from people that I know. I have always had good luck with wix filters, but if there is something that the Jeeps seem to like better I may change it. Thank you

Never had a problem with Fram either. Yes I read that guy's website where he cut filters open and talked about the drain back valve being cheaply made. Change your oil often enough, use the correct oil that's based on ambient tempatures and you will be fine.

Using an oil designed to work with diesel engines which have different detergent properties than gasoline oils doesn't seem to my non-nuclear mind to be a smart thing. Diesels have different soot properties, the trace fuels that are wiped by the rings can lead to fuel oil dilution viscosity problems and the pressure loads on diesel cranks are much greater.

Last edited:
Back