• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tuning up my XJ?

Djanvk

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know of any articles of exactly what to do for giving you XJ a tune up? I want to do this, never done it on my own before.

I have a 1999 XJ. Also, how hard would it be to install a muffler myself?

THanks

Tune up basically consists of plugs, [wires, distributor cap, & rotor (if you don't have coil packs)]. Really thats about it. Rest is computer controlled.
You could go a step further and change oil, filter & air filter.

Installation of a muffler is easy, getting the old rusted one out
could be challenging :). Usually easiest to replace the muffler & pipes up to the cat converter.

Djanvk said:
How cna I tell if I have coil packs or not?

If you have wires that go to a distrubitor you do not have coil packs. My 99 does not have coil packs. Also when changing the distrubitor it is a good idea to take the old one off while leaving the wires on it, put the new one on and then change over the plugs one by one so you don't mess up the firing order.

On a 1999, you don't have coil packs. They weren't introduced on the 4.0 untill the 2000 model year.

A tune up on the 4.0 is by far one of the (if not the single most) easiest things to do to it. Go get a set of spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, as well as an air filter and you'll be good to go. All can be had for relatively cheap, and you'd be surprised how much a good tune up can do to performance and fuel economy.

Wow you all are great, thanks for all the information. I know what I'm doing tomorrow...

Thanks for all the info.

Not sure, but you seem pretty new to turning wrenches. When you take the old wires off, do not take them all off at one time because you will probably not know what order they go in. I would suggest taking one wire off at a time, remove that spark plug and replace it then reattach that wire to the plug and to the distributor cap. Grab a Haynes manual while at the parts store, YOU WILL NEED IT LATER if you plan on keeping the Jeep!!!! Good Luck!

You didn't mention how many miles on the heep? That is a factor specially if it's new to you.

Well I replaced the Dist Cap, Rotor, wires and Plugs, all works well. As for making sure I placed the correct plugs in the correct place, I drew a diagram on paper of the placement of plugs and wires. Worked fine.

What the hell is burping the nipples?
And what would I use the combustion seafoam for?

Next Project, new muffler and Hanes Manual. Thanks for all the help

double check your down pipe and the factory indentation, mine was flat like a pancake so I had a whole new down pipe built and bent (all 2.5" from the manifold collector down) and re-used my OEM cat and put in a used flowmaster kit from rustys that i got for 50$. all in all it was about 225 for everything built and welded by a shop, and it sounds awesome.
Seafoam is used to clean carbon build up and it is injected into your manifold using a vaccuum line. It burns through your motor and then cleans it all up nice and pretty, but like j99xj said, I think it burned my new O2 sensor up as well.

Just did a tune-up on mine today (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, oil & filter, and a new serpentine belt). The old girl runs so much better than it did before! Make sure you don't break the wire seperator when you take the plug wires off - they get kind of fragile with old age.

the muffler shouldn't be too hard to do yourself, but like was already mentioned think about doing a new tailpipe while your at it..an OEM replacement tailpipe cose me all of $22 from lordco. The toughest part will probably be seperating the muffler from the catalytic converter. I suggest using a cold chisel or a large screwdriver and a BFH to split the inlet on the muffler rather than trying to wrestle it out of there. If you have an angle grinder and are somewhat careful you can also just make a small cut along the muffler inlet as well, but I'd be worried about cutting into the catalytic convertor outlet.

clunk said:
the muffler shouldn't be too hard to do yourself, but like was already mentioned think about doing a new tailpipe while your at it..an OEM replacement tailpipe cose me all of $22 from lordco. The toughest part will probably be seperating the muffler from the catalytic converter. I suggest using a cold chisel or a large screwdriver and a BFH to split the inlet on the muffler rather than trying to wrestle it out of there. If you have an angle grinder and are somewhat careful you can also just make a small cut along the muffler inlet as well, but I'd be worried about cutting into the catalytic convertor outlet.

With all that banging and and old cat, you're bound to damage it somehow. Mind as well replace everything if you are gonna do most of it, anyway. Do you really wanna tear back into it later when the cat fails? You know how those pipes seize together....it's a damned chore even after running a setup from less than one day! (personal experience)

Blaine B. said:
With all that banging and and old cat, you're bound to damage it somehow. Mind as well replace everything if you are gonna do most of it, anyway. Do you really wanna tear back into it later when the cat fails? You know how those pipes seize together....it's a damned chore even after running a setup from less than one day! (personal experience)

it actually split apart surprisingly easily, not a problem at all really. The new cat was going to be around $130 for an OEM replacement from lordco so I said screw it and stayed with the one on there, which is perfectly fine. Why fix something if it isn't broken?!?

Back