• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Box Question

kdailey4315

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I need to chande my steering box in my 99 limited. After searching I found that the 99 has much stiffer steering than previous models. I like the way my steering feels in my 97. Would I be able to buy a steering box for a 97 and just put it in my 99 to have the "old feel" back? Or will I have to get a steering box for a 99 and up?
Thanks

great thanks for the help. Is changing a steering box something that is easy to do or should I take it somewhere?

It is real easy. There are 3 bolts that bolt it to the frame, 2 fluid lines, and one bolt holding the steering shaft to the splines. Not sure if your getting a steering box with a pitman arm on it allready or not but it if the new one allready has a pitman arm on it you will need to take the Tierod end off the old one. If it does not have a pitman arm on it then you will need to pull the old pitman arm off with a puller or big hammer. Also if you get a steering box and pitman arm off a Grand Cherokee ZJ it will have about a 1 inch drop compared to your factory pitman arm, should help steering angles.

I used a 2x4 across the engine bay and a piece of strap to help hold the box up when I took the bolts off. Helps a lot, it's kind of heavy and akward.

kdailey4315 said:
Hey all,
Would I be able to buy a steering box for a 97 and just put it in my 99 to have the "old feel" back? Or will I have to get a steering box for a 99 and up?
Thanks
If you like the worn out feel, get a junk yard one

Back