• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97 Cherokee Country Package

JeepXJFan

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone tell me with certianty what the country package includes on the 1997 Cherokee? Can the package be modified from the factory? I bought the jeep which has the country package, premium rims, tinted windows, pl,pw tilt/cruise, but it doesn't have a skid plate on it, doesn't have a reciever hitch either.

I have had 2 Country's, both '95s but, I didn't have factory skids on either one. I don't think that was a standard feature of the Country trim package.

As far as I know...Country's came with tinted windows, all power, "premium" wheels, that awesome wood grain trim, overhead console, rear speaker bar, and option of leather.

***EDIT*** - My first '95 Country did have a limited slip...it was an option...

Last edited:
I have a 97 Country also. Tinted windows, nice aluminum wheels, overhead consol, rear speaker bar, power drivers seat, power everything, heated mirrors, and leather just like yours. No skid plates, no limited slip, no hitch, and no fog lights. You could order them with different options.

Well Im glad they at least skipped on the woodgrain lol... Do you know if skid plates from a 91 would fit on a 97?

my 97 country came with a tow package from factory, but no skids, limited slip diffs, leather, or overhead console.

I think all the skid plates should work but am not positive about the gas tank skid because your tank is plastic, older cherokee's are metal. In my opinion the wood grain looks much better than the standard color, my 97 Country and 2000 limited both have wood grain. It is just a small slit on the doors, and the piece that surounds the AC and radio.

I have a 95 Country. It has the tow package, C8.25. No Abs or limited slip. Didn't have skids or recovery points. No leather. everything else tho except overhead console.

jeepboy381 said:
I think all the skid plates should work but am not positive about the gas tank skid because your tank is plastic, older cherokee's are metal. In my opinion the wood grain looks much better than the standard color, my 97 Country and 2000 limited both have wood grain. It is just a small slit on the doors, and the piece that surounds the AC and radio.

I misunderstood, I thought you meant wood grain on the outside. Yeah mine has the woodgrain trim too. I also think it looks good.

JeepXJFan said:
I misunderstood, I thought you meant wood grain on the outside. Yeah mine has the woodgrain trim too. I also think it looks good.
That would be funny!! I am laughing just thinking about someone that would want a newer wood grain cherokee! I am sure people are out there but far and few.:puke:

jeepboy381 said:
That would be funny!! I am laughing just thinking about someone that would want a newer wood grain cherokee! I am sure people are out there but far and few.:puke:

Sounds like a challenge to me....

JeepXJFan said:
Can anyone tell me with certianty what the country package includes on the 1997 Cherokee? Can the package be modified from the factory? I bought the jeep which has the country package, premium rims, tinted windows, pl,pw tilt/cruise, but it doesn't have a skid plate on it, doesn't have a reciever hitch either.

I think you might be confusing two separate things here - 'Country' was a trim level from '93 to '97, but the Up-Country package was a set of options that included the tow hooks, skidplates, etc. Not quite the same thing.

Out of curiosity I had the local Jeep dealership reference my VIN in their database (you can do this online or in person) and found what my 97 Country was equiped with from the factory. I found that Counrty was the top-o-the-line package for 93-97 with many different choices of additional options, mostly being leather group, tow package, etc.
Aside from little differences like fog lights, recovery points, leather interior, I found that an ABS delete option, skid plate add-remove, power moonroof, overhead console add-delete, premium wheel add-delete were available.
As my build sheet breaks down, my Country has full power, no leather (cloth), no power driver seat, overhead console delete, no abs (usually not on 8.25 Corp), full tint, no heated mirrors, yes to timed-off headlights, cruise, tilt, air, wood grain, full instruments, premium shocks, premium wheels, raised white letter tires, heavy duty cooling, etc etc etc.
The most unusual option that mine has is a power moonroof option that I believe was installed at the factory. I have seen other XJ's with moonroofs but they look nothing like mine. The mounting frame (moonroof) to the top of the roof (body) contours the ribs on the roof, seals perfectly. The headliner looks to be built (OEM) to accomodate the moonroof assembly that retracts into and under the roof. It is wired into the fuse panel (cant remember position) and is in with the OEM wire loom. I found between the rear speakers there was a manual crank to close the moonroof if the motor failed.
Give the dealership your VIN and ask some questions (if someone is willing to answer) and you can get a wealth of information on your Cherokee.

Last edited:
The moon roof is right up front where it is supposed to be, no upper console, just a cluster of buttons. It has always worked (knock on the wood grain dash) and closes when the ignition is turned off.
I was replacing the rear speakers one day and found a gear at the end of the moonroof frame, found that a crank (long lost) was supposed to fit to it and you can hand crank the roof, open shut or vent. Packed at the end of the rails for the slide mechanism.

Last edited:
96 country here. p/l,p/w, cloth seats, no overhead console,or power seat, no woodgrain. 8.25, no abs, rear tank skid, but that's the only one. aftermarket hitch. all bout how it was spec'ed out I guess.

Some questions that I have that maybe someone can answer is...

Did -or- would a power moonroof (NOT aftermarket) for a Grand Cherokee work in an XJ body?

The Up-Country version, would my Cherokee be a Country Up Country, or a Up Country Country. (ok that was stooopid)

The tow package, what exactly did that option include?

97CountryXJ said:
Some questions that I have that maybe someone can answer is...

Did -or- would a power moonroof (NOT aftermarket) for a Grand Cherokee work in an XJ body?

The Up-Country version, would my Cherokee be a Country Up Country, or a Up Country Country. (ok that was stooopid)

The tow package, what exactly did that option include?

Tow hitch and auto tranny aux coller generally, maybe the 8.25 axle since it's stronger. A few got LSD's I think too. Maybe wider tires as well? LT class instead of P class maybe?

Back