• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98xj passenger airbag question

Pologuy1441

NAXJA Forum User
i would like to take out the air bag on the passenger side and use the space to put an power inverter and/or my cb.

so the question at hand is will the airbag light come on if there is no air bag?
and if so wut ressister should i put in place of the airbag so it thinks its still there?

Ohhhh this wont get flamed....:eyes:

I was under the assumption that it was against the law to remove the airbags....especially if your state does safety inspections. Besides, why would you want to remove something that can save yours or your passenger's life?

Just drill the mounting bracket screws far enough in, that even if the bag does go off it won't inflate :) :) :)

But seriously, if it's not a trail rig....keep the bag, save a life.

98XJLimitedNateWV said:
I don't know, maybe this is a trail only rig and he doesn't carry passengers...
But still, I would want the airbags to help my head incase I were to lose control and slam into a rock or something.....maybe thats just me?:dunno:

But to answer his question, yes I would imagine the airbag light would come on, as the air bag module would sense a problem (the problem being the lack of an airbag). I have to wonder if that would make the driver side one not function properly....

I believe if the airbag light is on it will not deploy any airbags in the case of an accident because it sees something faulty with the system.

i have a cage that is in the way of the air bag anyways. so even if it does deploy its not going 2 inflate properly. so i'd appreciate just answers please.

I think you'd have to poke a hole in the bag. The computer won't know that and won't set off the light. It will try and inflate it in the event of an accident, but won't be able to.

Only thing I have to offer.

But now we know you have a cage that covers that airbag, so that's good.

Pologuy1441 said:
so no one has any actual helpful input?

Disconnect the battery, and isolate the negative ground wire so it will not accidentally ground itself to the battery. Wait 2-3 minutes for the airbag capacitor to completely discharge, really only takes a few seconds, but be safe. Once this is done, the air bag will not be able to deploy electronically.

There are a few screws holding it in. Disconnect the airbag from the jeep and be very careful what you do with it. Placed in the wrong area, or left in the wrong position, it could mess you up. Always store it face up, with nothing on top of it.

I do not think it is illegal for you as the end user to remove your air bag, and it may be a very good idea if there are items like a cage support bar in its way.

Many new trucks are sold with the ability to disconnect the passenger side airbag so small kids in a rear facing child safety seat don’t get their heads ripped off.

Good luck and let us know if the space gained was worth the effort.

Blaine B. said:
I think you'd have to poke a hole in the bag. The computer won't know that and won't set off the light. It will try and inflate it in the event of an accident, but won't be able to.

Only thing I have to offer.

But now we know you have a cage that covers that airbag, so that's good.

Why would you post something like this? This guy could easily injure himself if he were to blindly follow your advice!

Back