• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np 231 disasembly

speakerwire

NAXJA Forum User
We have a 91 XJ the Transmission is out and the Transfer Case is out also.

We decided to inspect the Transfer Case while it was out.{231}

How do we get it apart?

We thought just unbolt the rear of the case and pull it apart.
Is this the correct way to open the case?
Does it have to be opend from the front?

Now we have to reseal the case.

Does anyonne have any input on this?

just took apart my 242 t/case in vehicle, had to pull the speedo gear and 4wd select connector, I have a sye, you will have to pull the rear output bearing housing and remove the snap ring retaining the bearing, pull the bearing, unbolt the halfs and it should come apart, watch you don't lose anything, get yourself somes output seals and bearings, cheap and easy to install., just reverse for the re-assembly , be sure to use either anarobic sealant or rtv ultra grey to seal the halfs or be prepared for leaks

at the rear of the case where the sye would go,we removed all the bolts on both housings and they will not seperate;do we need to just hit them a little bit while being carefull not to break the housings?

Thank you

Mine took a little beating with a plastic hammer

you trying to take the rear tailshaft housing off or split the halves?

"bcmaxx

you trying to take the rear tailshaft housing off or split the halves?"

We just wanted to inspect for any visual damage while it was out.

We wanted to just split the case open, inspect and reassemble.

It is part way opened now

We see no reason to remove the rear tailshaft housing .

You have to remove the rear tailshaft housing in order to split the case. It's kind of like taking your shoes off so you can remove your socks.

Read http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/porc_sye.html for more on the tailshaft housing removal. Then realize that the front and rear halves are glued together pretty thoroughly at the factory, but they made some good pry points:

np231_pry.jpg

Jim www.yuccaman.com

Im almost positive there's a snap ring you must remove in order to remove the bearing and then slipt the halves, so yes tailshaft must be removed. There was a notch on the drivers side of the case where a screwdriver/chisel could be inserted to aid in splitting the case, one whack and mine came apart. just did it yesterday

bcmaxx said:
Im almost positive there's a snap ring you must remove in order to remove the bearing and then slipt the halves, so yes tailshaft must be removed. There was a notch on the drivers side of the case where a screwdriver/chisel could be inserted to aid in splitting the case, one whack and mine came apart. just did it yesterday
There are two screwdriver slots opposite each other. First you must remove the tail housing. There are at least one snap ring maybe two and they have to be removed also before you think about using the two screwdriver slots. Don't mix up the bolts as you remove them. One is a 12 point, two are a dark steel color and the remaining ones are shiney. The two dark ones have a sort of hollow dowel under them.
Hope these tidbits from my ancient memory are of some benefit to you.

Back