• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my Big trip report... no doubt

xjblue

NAXJA Member #496
NAXJA Member

Left for Moab late Monday night, arrived oh about 1.00 am at the spot off of the Klondike Bluffs trail where this first shot was taken from . As per the adventure forum I simply "camped" in the back seat of the XJ.

Day one, official trail ride = Strike Ravine, lead by Handlebars. Big thanks to Alex for stepping up.

The first obstacle, Big Ugly, was soaked from rain the previous evening, worse than last year. I was glad to have lockers front and rear, still managed to damage my only rockrash free door right above the rockrails no less. good times. This shows how steep it is.

Jumpmaster josh gets er done on another steep climb

Caption this photo!

Like most trails around Moab, no lack of scenery on this one either.

It started off challenging in the mud and turned out to be a beautiful day, great trail run.

Click below for the full album.

Much more to follow, I'm not done with day one yet! plus four more days worth to cover... stay tuned!

Last edited:
I like your new camera Jared! Thanks for helping out on the trails and prerunning 3-D with me... it was a Loose Screws Tour keeping with this year's theme... less ambitious than ever!

Here's some photos... Strike Ravine, Tuesday.
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Prerunning 3-D... Bartlet Wash
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

3-D, Wednesday. Ranger Rick in Hidden Canyon.
orig.jpg

Checking out the fossils at the Mill Canyon Dinosaur Trail.
orig.jpg

Thursday Maria and I slept in, then did the entire Poison Spider loop for the first time since 2001.
orig.jpg

Friday, Seven Mile Rim
orig.jpg

Uranium Arch
orig.jpg

Tusher Tunnel
orig.jpg

After Strike Ravine as Handlebars stated, we pre ran the 3D trail

Here is the back at ya shot that goes with yours.

Turned into a night run after the sun went down. Loose Screws Tour 07!

After hanging around cabin 1 at slickrock then night # 2 in the back seat, was this scene driving back to town Wednesday morning.

Day two and our official 3D run, Alex and I took turns at the lead.
Early scenery along the 3D trail, Courthouse Wash and Slickensides Arch.

We stopped at the Dino fossil trail in Mill Canyon where Jonny discovered loose steering - par for the course at the 07 Fall fling! We then stopped at Tusher Tunnel, the overlook near there, and kicked up some sand crossing Bartlett Wash and driving in Hidden Canyon Wash. The 3D trail crosses all of these more popular washes on seldom traveled connectors, and thus earns a lot of appeal with me. We ate lunch near the upper reaches of Hidden Canyon where narrow fingers of the canyon end suddenly, some with short narrow slots, Alex with the canyoneering skills on the way back out.

After lunch we helped a 2wd stricken Land Cruiser out of the sand of Hidden Canyon Wash by teaching the owner to air down his tires. Then ascended to the Rim, stopped at the first overlook by that chuncky arch, then worked our way around the more rugged part of the trail to the Bartlett Overlook with it's excellent views of most of the trail we had driven, the airport, and the upper Bartlett Wash valley. After that we dusted out baja style to Dubinky Well Road and Hwy 313. I enjoyed running 3D enough that twice in a row was cool. We took it easy and made all the stops wich made it run a bit long for some - like this paragraph, but we had a good group with us!

Stay tuned, still more shots to come. (green day, 0313's chat with authorities, 4 Arches trail, Hey Joe canyon, and Hells Revenge with more scenery in between.)

That guy with the stuck Landcruiser works at one of the local bike shops. I thought I had recognized him, but wasn't sure. Two days later, I went into the bike shop and asked him if that was him that got stuck in the sand.

He was very appreciative for the airing-down lesson. They were going to go around the long way to where they were going. That's why they were in front of us for a while. Then they decided to turn around and continue on their original course, along with their newfound knowledge.

Remember those guys said that they had only been stuck for 10 minutes? I suspect that it was longer than that. :)

IMG_1199-1.jpg

xjohnnyc said:
That guy with the stuck Landcruiser works at one of the local bike shops. I thought I had recognized him, but wasn't sure. Two days later, I went into the bike shop and asked him if that was him that got stuck in the sand.

He was very appreciative for the airing-down lesson. They were going to go around the long way to where they were going. That's why they were in front of us for a while. Then they decided to turn around and continue on their original course, along with their newfound knowledge.

Remember those guys said that they had only been stuck for 10 minutes? I suspect that it was longer than that. :)

I didn't think it was only 10 minutes either, after all they had to "find" those logs and it looked like they were on the second attempt using them...

Cool story, It's a small world!

After 3D, some of us decided to return via Long Canyon, I missed the turn off but we ended up at a great spot to have dinner, spot bobcats, and watch birds perform for us in a strong updraft.

Finished just in time to capture the last fading light at the Long Canyon overlook

And a blurry shot I like, descending the canyon.

Day 3 of Fall Fling, Thursday.

I'm signed up to lead Porcupine Rim, nobody signs up...
I've got a free day, Bryon and Remi talk me into tagging along in area BFE
as they go back to the Green Day trail to even the score.
There are bypasses and the Britney Spears trail they tell me is easy. OK

Derek can't make the turn

Bryon gets out

Derek all smiles after making the turn:roll:

Got some great shots, many more in my album. Just click a photo to get there.
After they decided to work on Santa's steering then leave the trail,
I took off to run a trail I've passed many times but never returned to explore,
The Four Arches Trail, It branches off of the Gemini Bridges trail.
As I start the Gemini Bridges shelf road near hwy 191 I run into Neal and Cody finishing the Golden Spike Trail run.
Cody and I chat about trails into arches when a white pickup comes up behind me.
We part and I keep a close eye in the rear view wondering whats up? was I speeding?:D , a few twists in the road later and he is gone!

A close up!

I made my way around and past Gemini Bridges, didn't stop there - been there done that -
a mile west is a signed spur to the South for Crips Hole and Four Arches Trail, that's what I always wanted to see.
Crips Hole is an upper extension of Bull Canyon.
Grassy and surrounded by red cliffs, at the fork in the wash stay right to get to the 4 Arches.
You see some ranch buldings further along in there, reminded me of the main building in Quigly Down Under.
Then the way is less maintained as you enter a very nice narrow high walled upper canyon.
The power lines to Dead Horse Point run through here but other than that it's a little hidden gem of a canyon.
The trail winds in and through the wash a bit then follows the lines on shelf roads with one more crossing accesed by steep climbs/descents.

Mosquito Arch.

I noticed one more arch then drove the narrow powerline road to the end.
This shot is on the way out, It was a nerve racking close call getting around this rockfall.
I actually chipped a sharp corner of it off on the way in but it still made me flinch when my sidewall had wrapped itself around it.

Now I need to go back and spend a day in there exploring, find the other two arches etc...

4 more pics of the canyon are in the album

Back