• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

chryco 8.25 noise

beakie

NAXJA Forum User
as it says I am getting an odd sound from my rear axle.
when turning left or right from a stop, or going slowly (less than 20) I hear a grinding noise from the axle. I don't know much about axles, so I can only guess, but the only thing I could relate it too would be like the sound I got when my hub/bearing went on the fron D30.
I had thought maybe just a rock in one of the rims, but after a little while and a pressure washing I noticed it was happening on both sides, but only one at a time. Turn left, hear the left side, turn right, hear the right.
The brakes are less than a year, and its not happening when I brake, just when coasting, or a little gas. It may be happening when I go faster, but I can't hear it than.

thanks for any help

i wouldnt rely too much on your ears to tell where your sound is coming from. sounds echo all over, its hard to tell side to side noises. i would pop the cover off the rear end, take the carrier out, and check all the bearings. look for gouges or pitting on the bearing races.if you dont feel comfortable taking apart the rear end find a buddy who does, an 8.25 has to be adjusted when you put it back in, even if you dont change anything.

good luck, i had the same grinding/bad bearing sound on my 95 and it was the carrier bearings. if you do have a bearing problem replace them all while you are in there, including the wheel bearings at the end of the axle tubes, its worth it to only have to do it once. PM me if you need part numbers for the bearings, i work at napa and can pull up the invoice from when i bought mine.

hth
-mike

beakie said:
and its not happening when I brake, just when coasting, or a little gas. thanks for any help

My money says the noise is from your brakes.

pop the diff cover and inspect the gear wear pattern
pull the axle shafts and replace your bearings at the end of the tubes.
Check the brakes as mentioned.

If it still happens, then could be clutch plates IF you have a traklock, carrier bearings, or pinion bearing

sorry should have included some dif info aswell to clear up any questions
4.10 were installed last year with full install kit. I can have someone look at it (same guy that installed) he'll help me out rather cheaply if a bottle of certain liquid in included. I had thought about asking him to install an Auburn LSD I have sitting here anyway, maybe a good time to replace any bearings while I am at it.
I'll be taking you up on that PM Grimm, its on its way.

Back