• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rough idle from sitting for prolonged time.

deskjockey

NAXJA Forum User
To make a long story short, I have a bad Auxilary fan relay. I pulled a trailer (twice) yesterday in the 90 degree temps and left my xj idling. With the bad relay my electric fan didn't kick on so it got pretty hot...between 210 and the red...past normal operating temp. I discovered this because while I was unhooking the trailer my exhaust started to sound really rough. I hopped in and gave it some gas and it ran really rough. That's when I noticed the temp from the gauge. It didn't matter if I mashed the gas, gave it a little, or let it continue to idle. it ran rough throughout the whole range. I shut her down for a while to cool with the hood open and fired it back up about 15 minutes later. It was okay. It did it again after helping the neighbor pull his boat and it got hot. What gives??? It's a 96xj with almost 182,000 miles. Within the last 6,000 miles I have replaced both o2 sensors, plugs, cap, and rotor. I'm open to suggestions.

Lets just say fix the relay or plan on replacing your engine. When it gets that hot detonation is happening. Check your plugs now. Do not continue running a hot engine like that or you will have more problems then a fan relay issue.

Back