• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing windshield trim?????

shuttlefever

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I have a 94 2 door cherokee and am going to change the windshield on my own since there was some body damage done by the former owner. I have no difficulties changing the glass, I just dont know how to get the trim off without beating the crap out of it! Anyone know how to get it off of there without killing it???
Thanks for any help.
Dennis~:D

pry from the inside(closest to the glass not the a-post) there should be four retaining clips that hold the trim on. Same for top and bottom.

Get yourself a chrome tool (also known as moulding release tool)
mouldingtool.gif

http://equalizer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=estore&Product_Code=MR747&Category_Code=11b

There are, as I recall, 22 black plastic clips. These aren't it, but they look kinda like this.
clip.gif
There should be 5 pieces to the metal trim. 1 for each side, 1 for the top, and 2 for the bottom. Start with either side one first, and gently lift up so you can get your release tool in there to release the tab on the top part of the clip. Then work your way around the top to the other side, and then finish with the bottom pieces. Putting them back on, I always start with bottom pieces first. Then one side, the top, and finish with the remaining side. If you break any of the plastic clips, just lemme know. I have a shitpile of them I can send you, n/c. Later on, Jer

And by the way, this is a link to the website for the above mentioned moulding tool and other auto glass tools.
http://equalizer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=estore

EDIT: This is only for XJ's with the metal 5 piece trim. The later XJ's have a 1 piece rubber moulding that goes on the glass prior to installation, and it's not designed to be re-used.

jbmoose said:
EDIT: This is only for XJ's with the metal 5 piece trim. The later XJ's have a 1 piece rubber moulding that goes on the glass prior to installation, and it's not designed to be re-used.

Is it possible to use the later rubber moulding on an earlier Jeep? I need to replace my windshield and I'd like to ditch the trim pieces and use the 1-piece rubber.

lawsoncl said:
Is it possible to use the later rubber moulding on an earlier Jeep? I need to replace my windshield and I'd like to ditch the trim pieces and use the 1-piece rubber.
Yes, it's possible, but my question would be why? The rubber moulding has a dealer msrp of $75.60, but is around $50. I don't like the Precision (far from it) mouldings or other aftermarket suppliers. So why spend the money, when you could just re-use the metal ones, maybe having to replace a few plastic clips. I also read on the other thread mentioned that someone reused the rubber 3 times. It's not designed to be reused. Sure, you could hack it off flush and put a huge goober of urethane to glue it down (which some of the lesser "skilled" glass installers do), but I wouldn't. Also, if u plan on doing this, let a certified tech install it. It will cost u less in the end. I could go on and on about correct installation procedures and materials, but any other questions, just lemme know. Later, Jer

Thanks for the advice. I'll stick with the trim pieces, but maybe I'll clean them up and paint the before I call the windshield guy to do the replacement. Right now one of them is siliconed to the windshield because it was loose and rattling.

Back