• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

older aw4 into newer 88 wag to 93 cherokee aw4 swap

weslaf0313

NAXJA Forum User
:cheers: I recently aquired a headache. i bought a 93 cherokee for next to nothing that has tranny probs. well i draged it home and started looking at it . i guess when they did the engine swap they swapped in a 2wd tranny and took of the transfer case(note to self never go check a friends neighbors jeep for sale afther an afthernoon of drinking) well i got this 88 wagoneer sitting at my fathers that i drove in college and has been sitting since i went into the marines, i want to drop the drivtrain and put it in the 93 . should it just bolt up ? i plan on using the 88 drive shafts as well . will the electronics work with it . computer ecu, etc etc . i hate dropping trannys , i dont want to get down and dirty and then realize it doesnt work . any insight will help

Yes, it'll bolt in. Install the 88's trans and transfer, you'll also need to swap the speedo gear and housing along with the 93's trans kickdown cable to the 88 trans.

No issues with TCU etc.

I have 88 trans/transfer in my 94 when i did a 4x4 conversion.

hopefully some one else sees this haha

well I as well have a 94 2wd Cherokee and have an 88 donor 4x4 Cherokee.

ive heard that the harnesses are different but wondering if I can use the 2wd harness and just have an engine light on I don't care as it will be a woods only jeep. just don't want to put it all in and have the jeep not move.

This is an old thread from 2007, 9 years old you posted on!!!!

Last edited:
hopefully some one else sees this haha

well I as well have a 94 2wd Cherokee and have an 88 donor 4x4 Cherokee.

ive heard that the harnesses are different but wondering if I can use the 2wd harness and just have an engine light on I don't care as it will be a woods only jeep. just don't want to put it all in and have the jeep not move.

I extended the harness to speedometer, you could do the same or swap in the 88's harness. The rest of the harness will work fine.

Mine ran great for 14 years or so.. no issues and no engine lights.

awesome thank you for responding!! I started pulling everything from the donor yesterday hope to have the swap done within the next week or so according to work. will update when done

Back