• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

radiator

Stickboy

NAXJA Forum User
Need some info,changin out to a 3 core open radiator system.
All the parts stores say the only JEEP rads they have are for the closed system.
I under stand the 3 core is not actually designed for the JEEP.
Is there a specific part number I should be looking for.
Vehicle :
89'Cherokee
I6 4.0 242
Auto
Air
PS
4x4

I did my 91 xj week before last(Installed gdi 3 core radiator) Some people say the gdi is good others say it isnt. I guess I will know down the line. Either way, jeep runs alot cooler, used to edge just over 210 running on the highway now, it always sits @180-195ish. I havent put it to the test yet(Towing) but I am sure it will do better. While I was doing the radiator, I also, put in a new fan clutch(Bought from carquest), water pump, belt and mopar thermostat. Good Luck!

Stickboy,

Why do you want to convert to the open style system? I considered going to the open system 3 years ago when I was changing my radiator.

You can use a 91 or later XJ radiator in place of the 89 radiator. They are the same except for the filler neck and a location for the electric fan switch in the cold tank. This is one of the times you just say you want the raditor for the newer XJ and use it in yours.

The 91 and later radiator does not have a place to mount the cold tank sensor. Jeep use to have a piece that went in the lower radiator hose and allowed you to mount the sensor, but in 2000 the part was "no longer available".

I recall reading on here a company called www.performanceradiator.com has a radiator with a filler neck AND had the fitting for the electric fan switch. The guys on here said you have to call them, tell them what you are doing and they will get you set up.

Even if you go with the new new radiator, you will have to change your heater hoses and the heater control valve.

Here is an article on doing the converstion: http://www.olypen.com/craigh/rad.htm Craig also has articles on maintaining a closed cooling system and flushing out your heater core, all good stuff.

I am still with the stock closed system. I like having the reservoir full of fluid, it keeps the cooling system full of fluid. Cadillac on the North Star engines uses a closed cooling system. Eagle installed a moroso tank to replace the plastic reservoir and has no problems with it.

If I may ask why do you want to covert the cooling system? Because of the cold tank sensor I choose to stay with the closed system.

Martin,thanks for the info.
The reason I'm changing the rad is because this is the 2nd time this has happened,and I think it's time for a change.
I have back flushed and have done so every year and adding new thermo and coolant.
I also know I have to change the htr ctrl valve.
Not too sure bout Alabama,but this year,the Texas heat is beatin the hell outta us n that ain't helpin matters any

If you change the radiator also install a new fan clutch for the belt driven fan. They have a life of 5 years, if you have not changed it already, do it while you have the radiator out.

I think you need a new radiator, going to the open style will not do much for you. I think you will see the same improvement with either a new open or new closed radiator.

My XJ been in the body shop since July 1st so have not been driving it. I think we may of hit 95 one day, lots of days above 90.

I had a mechanic tell me to only expect 7 years of service out of a radiator, no more than that. I am not sure how old your radiator is but if it is the stock one that could explain a lot.

When I changed my radiator I found I had a lot of room could of changed every accessory with no problem. If you are thinking new water pump this would be the time with the radiator out of the way. Also be a good time to change the harmonic balancer if it has over 100K on it.

It would probably help to go get the radiator before you try to put it in, instead of napping all day, huh Stick?:D

Stickboy --

What kind of radiator did you replace with the first time? The raw fact is that the "open" design radiator is the same size, same capacity, and uses the same core as the "closed" design. You will not gain either cooling capacity or longevity just because you bought an open radiator rather than a closed one.

I'm with Martin. I replaced the radiator in my '88 with a GDI in December of 1999, and I stayed with the "closed" system. The vehicle runs cooler now than it ever did with the OEM radiator.

I used the Pontiac pressure bottle conversion in my 90 and it works great. It has an actual metal radiator cap on it. I cant remember who posted it, but the website is www.cheapxj.com/index.html. I have had some pretty good luck with it. I live in TX and it hovers around 100 just about everyday. I went to the junk yard and pulled one off of an 89 grand am and a late 80's - early 90's grand prix. The one off the grand prix has two inlets. They are about 1/4 inch a piece and probably very easy to break. I capped one off and used the other. If I break the one I am using, I can cap it off and use the other one. I have a habit of breaking things. I got both bottles for $30 bucks. Good luck guys.

90red

Back