• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will not stay in 4wd-np242

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
89 xj 242 auto, Out wheeling in the sand, My brother noticed a clicking from the floorpan and I noticed I was no longer in 4 low, I stopped the jeep looked underneath and the exhaust was close to the driveshaft. I tore both motor mounts,put her back in 2wd and called it a day, replaced the mounts yesterday, and adjusted the t/case linkage, Now it goes into 4wd fine but put a little torque behind it and it makes a loud pop then click click click click that changes with speed and only the rear tires spin. This happens in 4low and 4hi part and full time.The 4wd lever doesn't move when it pops out. Repairable or replace?I have seen 5spd tranny's that pop out of gear before usually causd by bent or poorly adjusted shift forks.

has new trans mount, and it isn't a disco axle(well insn't anymore)

If it drives fine in 2 wheel drive you might have a stretched chain in the transfercase jumping gears or a broke chain rubbing the shaft in 4wheel drive.

If your engine moved because of the motor mounts being broke while in 4wheel drive, I suppose the linkage could have tried to shift because of the pivoting motion of the engine thus stretching/breaking the chain the transfercase.

I got bored and took it apart, its the most rearward (sprocket /gear? That rides on the rear fork, #16 in the illustration here: http://www.drivetrain.com/242transfercasesillust.htm.

The edges of the teeth are chewed a bit It's hard to engage by hand into the (center diff?) I looks like I can just clean the teeth up and re-install it, can't see any damage to the mating teeth.other than that everything else looks peachie.wish I had a spare kicking around, I had no idea they were this easy to work on.

Upon further inspection I going to need a new center diff, any idea what vehicles year ranges have the same guts?

bcmaxx said:
Upon further inspection I going to need a new center diff, any idea what vehicles year ranges have the same guts?

The way I remember it, the guts are the same, the parts that differ are input and rear output shafts and gears. They changed in 90, 95, 96 and 97(electrical connector).
The differential is further back from the low range gears and I don't think it was affected by the changes. Just an opinion.
One day I was getting a transmission kit at a place that was specializing in transmissions and transfer case parts. I asked and he told me that he can get all the parts for 242 cases. His prices were lower than autoparts.
Check in case there is a similar store in your neck of the woods.

I'm having exactly the same problem, what was wrong with the centre diff? I'm thinking I should just replace the whole thing rather than try and fix it.

Cheers
Steve

Steve F said:
I'm having exactly the same problem, what was wrong with the centre diff? I'm thinking I should just replace the whole thing rather than try and fix it.

Cheers
Steve

If you feel like playing, it will be a nice project. Otherwise go to the junk yard, I bought one from the yard, find the TC that will fit with the lowest mileage, it should cost 250-300. Check ebay and the forums. I bought one from TimMN if I remember right.
I converted two of my Jeeps from 231 to 242. I think 242s are great. A friend who does extreme 4x4 has one and it is taking the abuse with no problems.

The gears inside the low range were almost stripped, It would still work in 4 hi but not 4 low, Ended up buying another 242 for $350 and grabbing theparts and putting the in mine. I aquired another 242 thats in need of a chain for backup for free.

bcmaxx said:
The gears inside the low range were almost stripped, It would still work in 4 hi but not 4 low, Ended up buying another 242 for $350 and grabbing theparts and putting the in mine. I aquired another 242 thats in need of a chain for backup for free.

You got me confused. The low range works with the big gear ring that is part of the case (annulus). If the low range gears are stripped, wouldn't they also mess up the annulus gear?

#16 stripped the inside of #19 in the above, I'm no expert on names,

Back