• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

narrowing down a 44

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
OK, my current plan is to find an appropriate D44 HP and narrowing it down to get stock width out of it. I know that I need to look for an EB D44 and that couple ford trucks used to have them. Anything else that's out there that's worth checking out?

Also does anyone know rough costs for that? I figure it should not be too much: cut and weld on knuckles at the appropriate angle? And no, I don't want to do that myself cause I know I'd screw the angle up :D

Here's some info you might want to read through before you go axle hunting: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm You might want to stay away from the '78-'79 F-150/Bronco axles due to the cast bracket/2 piece tube design. I've heard that some F-150 Super Cabs had leaf spring HP D44s mounted up front......one of those would be ideal ;)-------Hans

Last edited:
cool page! Now here's another question that I'm pondering... is there anything that would be near XJ's width that would allow me to retain stock axles as spares? I don't want to do custom shafts every time. So...... what do y'all think about retubing it to a waggy width? Now before someone says it: I don't want waggy front cause I want an HP drivers drop ;)

Kejtar said:
OK, my current plan is to find an appropriate D44 HP and narrowing it down to get stock width out of it. I know that I need to look for an EB D44 and that couple ford trucks used to have them. Anything else that's out there that's worth checking out?

Also does anyone know rough costs for that? I figure it should not be too much: cut and weld on knuckles at the appropriate angle? And no, I don't want to do that myself cause I know I'd screw the angle up :D

As far as I can tell the EB's 44 was a low pinion, and the f100 or f150's were the HP44.. Plus the EB complete flange to flange was 58" so you would want a truck front axle. The trucks usually were 65-67" flange to flange...

And Yes I would narrow the truck down to Waggy width so that shafts are easy to come by. That is what I have done to my project 44, and I have chromoly waggy shafts too... I hope this helps..

Last edited:
Back