• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Couple little things I wonder.

Vanquish

NAXJA Forum User
So I have an 00' XJ classic.

There is a part of the A/C system on the firewall, on the passenger side. It it part of one of the aluminum lines, and has some wires going to it. It clicks NON-stop, and at lights I'm continuously thinking my engine just began ticking...what the hell is this thing?

Also my engine has formed a whine, that is not power-steering. It's on the lower side of the engine at the front. Alternator? The whine does change with the RPM of the motor.

I think the ticking noise you are hearing is the purge valve. They always tick/click.....whatever. I don't have a newer XJ so I'll let others inform on that.

But my Jeep (95 XJ) just developed a while yesterday, that changes with RPM. I've traced it to the A/C compressor.

I took the belt off and rotated the pully.....it spins freely, and I can turn the clutch by hand. So I don't know what else is going on, I'm told the compressor is probably on it's way out. Fantastic. I'll try and get a video clip up much later today so you can see if the whine is like yours.

Blaine B. said:
I think the ticking noise you are hearing is the purge valve. They always tick/click.....whatever. I don't have a newer XJ so I'll let others inform on that.

But my Jeep (95 XJ) just developed a while yesterday, that changes with RPM. I've traced it to the A/C compressor.

I took the belt off and rotated the pully.....it spins freely, and I can turn the clutch by hand. So I don't know what else is going on, I'm told the compressor is probably on it's way out. Fantastic. I'll try and get a video clip up much later today so you can see if the whine is like yours.

Being able to turn the outside rim of the A/C compressor pully by hand is normal - it doesn't engage with the compressor shaft unless the clutch is energised.

Being able to turn it by hand probably means that you're running low on refrigerant - check that first. The less work the compressor is doing, the less effort you need to turn it... Most aircon compressors I've seen truly "fail" (not blown seals) have seized up - typically from the oil blowing out through a refrigerant leak, and the rings end up seizing against the bores due to excess heat.

Do I risk mine seizing up even if I don't use the A/C, or what?

It's full, put it on some gauges back in August. Still blows cold so....

Maybe it's just its time :(

But...my AC compressor is on the top. My whine is on the bottom.

But to answer your question, your compressor will be fine as long as you have no leaks. Of course you should engage it and let ir run every so often...

I don't know, the whine seems a bit louder today. I'll get a recording later.

Sounds similar to a loud power steering pump, but that is fine on my Jeep, also I've traced the sound to the A/C as well.

5-90 said:
Being able to turn the outside rim of the A/C compressor pully by hand is normal - it doesn't engage with the compressor shaft unless the clutch is energised.

Being able to turn it by hand probably means that you're running low on refrigerant - check that first. The less work the compressor is doing, the less effort you need to turn it... Most aircon compressors I've seen truly "fail" (not blown seals) have seized up - typically from the oil blowing out through a refrigerant leak, and the rings end up seizing against the bores due to excess heat.

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/bbugaski/Automotive/?action=view&current=AC.flvhttp://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/bbugaski/Automotive/?action=view&current=AC.flv

There's a recording, A/C off. Hm.

That clicking is probably from the canister purge solenoid (I think that's what it's called, book not handy at moment). There's a bunch of gadgetry up there that is connected with the evaporative emissions system, and that solenoid is noted for making a rhythmic knock that happens at idle to be almost exactly the frequency you'd hear from a bad connecting rod. I don't know whether or not this can be improved by replacing it. I've just lived with it on my 99. When it's cold, instead of knocking, it chirps.

mine does this too, i wish i could do something about it, perhaps use some insulation to dampen the noise? or is the ticking a sign that it needs replacing...

All valid questions. Now I'm more curious...:wierd:

Also good to know @ Matthew. I haven't owned it through a winter yet, so you probably just saved me another thread.

Back