• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield wipers won't turn off!

paintfiction

NAXJA Forum User
I did a search but couldn't find an answer to my problem. My windshield wipers show many of the problems from wear that others have but mine are doing something more.... they won't turn off!

Details:
1993 XJ Police model (COOL!) 4.0, 242 TC, Auto trans, electric everything - most doesn't work, cruise, intermittant, etc.

Intermittant does not work. Wipers work but USUALLY will not turn off if I turn them on. On rare occasions they will turn off when I want them to. They will turn off by themselves eventually - usually a period of 5-10 minutes. Sometimes they turn on when I start the vehicle. Sometimes not. It's getting embarassing driving down the road on a sunny day with my windshield wipers going! HELP!

Thanks!

For those that are interested. I checked into the Police model. Differences are:
1. Extended idle switch that raises the idle speed. (maybe other things?)
2. Special brake proportioning valve for high speed braking. (leaks - ARGH!)
3. Calibrated 120 MPH speedo - was perfect until I added 3" lift and 31s.
4. High performance computer chip !!! My '93 is WAY faster than my '95 XJ (sold) and even my '04 Rubicon! If I could clone the chip I could make a fortune selling them. The difference is quite noticable.

thats FUNNY. I have a 93 XJ 4.0 and it has the SAME PROBLEM.

I give the controls a good whack and they turn off. I have tried replacing the black velcro'd box under the dash and that did jack sh*t.

I think its in the steering column.

I will be trying to source a wiper control setup at the junkyard myself.

If they work i would not bother with the small black velcro box under the dash. I tried and it was futile.

john

I was thinking this was probably something in either the stalk control or the intermittant wiper control box but hate to start replacing expensive parts for no reason. Anyone else have any ideas?

I wonder if there's a problem in the motor. It's usually the other way around - the wipers don't park when the park circuit contacts burn up. But I could conceive of a problem wherein a short causes the live park circuit to keep the motor going after you shut it off. I'd start by unplugging the motor (the plug in the cowl) and using a test light to see if the switch is really cutting off power to the motor when it should.

My 95 FSM shows the following connections at the motor: #1 is blank; #2 is "wiper park switch sense" which I think you can ignore; #3 is fused ignition switch output. That should be live whenever ignition is on, and powers the park circuit of the motor. #4 is ground. # 5 and 6 are high and low from the switch. These should be on when switched on, and obviously, should be off when you turn the switch off. If after cycling the switch a number of times, you confirm that the switch is working correctly, look at the motor.

You might have to probe the connector to be sure you're reading it right. The 99 diagram shows an identical connector with identical functions, same physical pinouts, but the top row is numbered differently! For that one, you would transpose # 1 and #3 above, and leave the bottom three as is. So in other words, don't bet your life on the diagrams I've cited.

But it should be easy enough to find the right connections. With ignition on and wipers off, a test light should light from only one of the connectors. If it lights from more than that, you have a switch/wiring problem.

paintfiction said:
Do your wipers work intermittantly?

and the most important question...... where do you hit?
in all i think its a funny thread, because we are discussing smacking something to get something to work or not work.. the wipers i have work when i need them to but they stop half way on the windshiels or i turn it off and there is a lag so they stop after a few more wipes.

i hit the stalk straight on and say "bitch!" when i hit it. makes me feel good and people look at me funny on rainy days. When I go to that level it stops them in their tracks. the wipers that is.

i think its the switch on the steering column. nothing else would respond when i smacked it and called it a "bitch!".

that is pretty much the last thing i could think of. i went to the boneyard and pulled like 3 black boxes for the wipers and none helped. now i have a surplus of those babies.

Thanks Matthew, I'll bust out the test light and give this a shot. Lucky for me my '93 is not my daily driver or I am certain the stalk would now be a stump.... with mucho foul language and whacks having been applied to it.

Matthew Currie said:
I wonder if there's a problem in the motor. It's usually the other way around - the wipers don't park when the park circuit contacts burn up. But I could conceive of a problem wherein a short causes the live park circuit to keep the motor going after you shut it off. I'd start by unplugging the motor (the plug in the cowl) and using a test light to see if the switch is really cutting off power to the motor when it should.

My 95 FSM shows the following connections at the motor: #1 is blank; #2 is "wiper park switch sense" which I think you can ignore; #3 is fused ignition switch output. That should be live whenever ignition is on, and powers the park circuit of the motor. #4 is ground. # 5 and 6 are high and low from the switch. These should be on when switched on, and obviously, should be off when you turn the switch off. If after cycling the switch a number of times, you confirm that the switch is working correctly, look at the motor.

You might have to probe the connector to be sure you're reading it right. The 99 diagram shows an identical connector with identical functions, same physical pinouts, but the top row is numbered differently! For that one, you would transpose # 1 and #3 above, and leave the bottom three as is. So in other words, don't bet your life on the diagrams I've cited.

But it should be easy enough to find the right connections. With ignition on and wipers off, a test light should light from only one of the connectors. If it lights from more than that, you have a switch/wiring problem.

just remember, when you hit it, say "BITCH" and it will comply.

I heard this works for annoying co-workers too!

Just joking, all laughs aside, good luck with that problem. i have yet to work out the bugs in mine. My last great repair was replacing the wiper linkage arm bushings so the wipers would stop hitting the side and bottom of the window edges.

POSXJGuy said:
in all i think its a funny thread, because we are discussing smacking something to get something to work or not work..

i hit the stalk straight on and say "bitch!" when i hit it. makes me feel good and people look at me funny on rainy days. When I go to that level it stops them in their tracks. the wipers that is.

i think its the switch on the steering column. nothing else would respond when i smacked it and called it a "bitch!".

that is pretty much the last thing i could think of. i went to the boneyard and pulled like 3 black boxes for the wipers and none helped. now i have a surplus of those babies.
On a similar subject, you might find this funny...... I had a BIG gas/hydraulic airless paint sprayer (Graco GH-533 for those interested) that used to have an issue with the hydraulic ram hanging up and would either not cycle or would cycle continously. One day I got fed up with it and after insulting it with massive quantities of profanity, whacked the crap out of it. Lo and behold, it temporarily fixed the problem! The cuss/whack system worked fine for me until I started worrying that I might be doing damage so I contacted Graco's tech department to ask for a fix - they told me to whack it with a 2x4! LOL!

(for the techno geeks, it seems one of the little balls in the hydraulic workings had a little piece of crud that would sometimes cause it to not seat properly so.... Graco tech said I could either totally rebuild at ridiculous cost or keep a 2x4 handy - I kept a 2x4 handy)

On a more positive note for you - I'd be happy to give you a small sum for one of those black box thingees.... just in case that's my problem.

POSXJGuy said:

I heard this works for annoying co-workers too!

Just joking, all laughs aside, good luck with that problem. i have yet to work out the bugs in mine. My last great repair was replacing the wiper linkage arm bushings so the wipers would stop hitting the side and bottom of the window edges.

LOL!

I just went through the linkage/bushing crap with my Dodge van.... For those interested.... (at least on a Dodge van) the radio antenna does NOT unscrew! yeah... the bottom thingee on it LOOKS like it would unscrew but application of a crescent wrench succeeded in snapping it off for me. oops!

I have to re-do the linkage on my '93 too.... I'm hoping the antenna isn't in the way... even though the &*#$%^ radio doesn't work anyway.... {sigh}

sounds like a bad switch. i have the fully loaded larado model and it had a power antenna that didnt work. i was going to fix it till it met that bush. it jumped out inf front of me.

paintfiction said:
On a similar subject, you might find this funny...... I had a BIG gas/hydraulic airless paint sprayer (Graco GH-533 for those interested) that used to have an issue with the hydraulic ram hanging up and would either not cycle or would cycle continously. One day I got fed up with it and after insulting it with massive quantities of profanity, whacked the crap out of it. Lo and behold, it temporarily fixed the problem! The cuss/whack system worked fine for me until I started worrying that I might be doing damage so I contacted Graco's tech department to ask for a fix - they told me to whack it with a 2x4! LOL!

(for the techno geeks, it seems one of the little balls in the hydraulic workings had a little piece of crud that would sometimes cause it to not seat properly so.... Graco tech said I could either totally rebuild at ridiculous cost or keep a 2x4 handy - I kept a 2x4 handy)

On a more positive note for you - I'd be happy to give you a small sum for one of those black box thingees.... just in case that's my problem.

Hey man,

PM me your address and I'll send the black box thing out to you for free. Just give me your address. I will send this Saturday when i go to ship my Ebay crap I sold to my buyers.

I saw them just the other day so I know I still have em.

You should get it in a week or so.

POSXJGuy said:
:smsoap:

ah HA! I think I may have found the root of my problem..... I've been mostly calling it a$$hole - usually with a string of unmentionable adjectives strung along with it for extra effect. I'll try just plain "bitch" next time.... it'll probably work. :D

Back