• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 replacement question

Joshua

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing the transmission in my 96' 4.0. I have the new (used) tranny, and I am wondering if I should drain and refill the torque converter prior to bolting it to the flywheel or if it is filled with fluid through the tranny itself when I fill it up. Thanks!

I've been busy lately, but I finally have everything put back together - new (used) transmission, new battery cables from Kellys WiP, new lights, and I wanted to test the transmission on a test drive.

The snag is, after I filled it with fluid, the transmission wont shift into gear. The linkages are all hooked up right, but it wont shift into drive, 3rd, or 1,2. Did I not add enough fluid? The dipstick is showing that I have enough but I'm not entirely sure that its accurate. Does anyone have experience in this area?

Are you checking it while idling in N? Mine would show full when it was parked...but once I put it in N...it would go down!

When you put it in D or 1-2, will it move at all...or is it going nowhere? When I took my MJ for a test drive, it was vry sluggish...almost felt like it was in OD. But after a while, it began to gain power. I think that the flud was just not circulated all the way through.

Its going nowhere. I checked the fluid in park and neutral, and it didnt change, its hot now and just ABOVE the max line... will this cause a problem?

Okay first thing make sure the transfer case is not in neutral. I know it's obvious but i have seen that befor:doh: If it is I'm willing to bet that if you didn't put a quart or so of atf in the torque converter prior to fitting it to the tranny it probably has gotten airlocked. Or maybe you just have a bad transmission. Which torque convertor did you use?

I used the one that came with the new (used) transmission. I added alot of fluid to the torque converter but probably not a quart. Also I just cleaned my nss, because I noticed my reverse lights werent working, but that didnt help at all. Verified that tc wasnt in neutral.... I wish it had been! It would have been an easy fix...

What year is the donor AW4 tranny? Same spline count? I understand a 21-spline output will bolt up to a 23 spline xfer case, but won't actually engage. If you give it gas, does it shift up through the gears? That would point to a xfer case in neutral or not engaging the output shaft. YOu bolted up the tc to the flexplate too right?

The donor is from a 96', and my xj is a 96'. I counted the splines before I installed, and they are both 23. Ill have to try shifting up through gears, but let me ask this - If I didnt put enough fluid in the torque converter, will it fill iself through the transmission or will I have to pull everything apart to top it off?

Back