• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odometer reads "no bus"

joshz

NAXJA Forum User
2000 XJ sport, 70k, ever once in while the air bag light will come on, the rpm and speedometer gauge will go to zero, next the check engine light will come on and the odometer will read no bu5. Some times it lasts for 30 secs other times its been on as long as five minutes after that everthing will go back to normal. Anyone else have this problem. Thanks.

First guess would be Crank Position Sensor....my 00XJ did the same thing. Quite an adventure when you're going down the highway at 70mph and this happens.....

next time it happens try hitting the top of the dash these models have bad connections on the back of the quage cluster the fix is to take it apart and clean there was a tsb out for new connectors

I did try hitting the dash, I had the same prob in my wrangler and that would work, I ended up pulling the dash apart and cleaning the connections. When it did happen on the wrangler the odometer would go blank too, so I was thinking it was something other then the conections.

no bus means the gauge cluster isnt communicating with the computer, it has nothing to do with the cps. check the connections to the ecm and the gauge cluster.

ditto, ditto, tsb on alldata shows you must clean the male terminal ends on the back of the instrument cluster with a flat small screwdriver. lightly scrape away the black corrosion on them and apply dielectric grease to the male terminal ends. be conservative with the grease dude. put it all back together and voila. i did this almost two weeks ago and she reads good now.

GrimmJeeper said:
no bus means the gauge cluster isnt communicating with the computer, it has nothing to do with the cps. check the connections to the ecm and the gauge cluster.
it only has to do with the cps when you have a no start and a no bus. but when you just have no bus it is most probably the dash cluster connection,. mike

Back