• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Losing power while in Gear/Help!!

BigHurt

NAXJA Forum User
Heres the problem, it first started out with my check engine light going on about 20 miles after i put my new clutch in my car. So i went to make sure all of the plugs were plugged in and then i looked at the rear o2 sensor and the coating on the wiring rubbed off and i figured something may have shorted out. From there we put in a a new sensor and it didnt fix the problem. My uncle's a mechanic and said if you touch the negative to the positive it resets the computer which we did and now the lgiht is off but will go on after i drive it for a day or 2. Itried both of the tricks to get codes when the light was on and the one with the odometer worked but no codes came up. For the first ten minutes i drive my car i either have power or dont. I put it into first gear and as i let off the clutch my car shakes back and forth until i put the cltuch back in. Sometimes i can get to 2nd or third gear but when i hit the gas the engine doesnt even revv of and i hear this popping noise and evetually i get power back. My dad thought maybe it was the throttle or idle sensor but we werent sure. All of the fuses are good and we cleaned the throttle body out. After that while sitting at a light my idle gets really shitty to where it will damn near die out then go to where it normally would be and then idle just higher than normal then go down again. I recently changed the plugs and the fuel pump is new about 7 months ago. Any ideas and or help would be great, once i get the light to come back on im going to get the codes read at autozone. all help is appreciated because i need to get my jeep running. Also should i change the upstream 02 sensor?
thanks dan

IF the problem was not there til you changed the clutch, I would focus on the things that were disturbed when doing the clutch. I would REALLY focus on the crank position sensor. Make sure the wires are intact. Also check to see if the bolts retaining the sensor are tight. The last thing to check would be the adjustment of the sensor. Some of the after market sensors are some what adjustable. It should NOT contact the flywheel but be darn close. Although an O2 sensor can affect the way your jeep drives I do not think that is your problem. Another thing to look at is all the electrical plug ins you had undone. Sometimes when you plug things back in the wiers will push out of the plastic connector just enough to not make contact. Hope this helps!!!

Im gonna check it out now and report back i didnt even think about that sensor but it did get pinched a few times when we were trying to realign the bell housing.

I went and got the computer checked at autozone and it said it was either the TPS or the mass air flow sensor(Where is it located) i was shown the whole throttle body was the mass air flow sensor. I replaced the TPS and it was good for 20 mins and then it went back to its old ways. My dads friend is bringing one of the those computers that can detect a problem in any of the sensors and or somewhere else in the whole engine. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know because before i can modify it i need it to run right. After my car cools off im gonna try and see if the CPS sensor got pinched on the bell housing or someting and pulled a wire out.

hey.........i dealing with the same problem you are experiencing right now....

jeep loses power then gains power than loses it than gains power in gear........inconsistant rough idle.......i have a code for a low downstream 02 sensor voltage and i replaced it but the code is still there im thinkin the wiring might have isssues-compression test passed:fuel pressure passed(was fluttering fast from 40-44ish though not sure if that means much)

i just put new:
plugs
wires
distributer cap
rotor
coil
cat+muffler

im kinda at a stand still too any help at all would be awsome

I just replaced the front sensor again got the light checked and it came up with the front sensor again. We are gonna put new wires in because that is one thing we didnt do along with a new cap. SOme days i can drive it fine and other days the idle is so bad it just wont move and the sahking is unbearable. There is a misfire you can hear in the exhaust so we figure to try the wires and if not wait for my dads friend to get his 3000 dollar diagnostic computer to figure out the problem wherever it is.
lemme know if you made any progress out eleiminated so things that it could be
thanks
dan

Back