• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RS HP D44 Outer Knuckles Question

dlarrivee

NAXJA Forum User
If one were to build a HPD44, using an axle housing from an old Ford, and they wanted to use brand new dedenbear outer knuckles... Why would one choose Chevy/FSJ vs. Ford?

Also, if one were looking to use brand new brake calipers, and rotors, is there a kit available to mount the caliper?

dlarrivee said:
If one were to build a HPD44, using an axle housing from an old Ford, and they wanted to use brand new dedenbear outer knuckles... Why would one choose Chevy/FSJ vs. Ford?

Also, if one were looking to use brand new brake calipers, and rotors, is there a kit available to mount the caliper?
Ford (disc brake) spindles are held on by 5 bolts versus 6 for GM/FSJ.......Internationals are held on by 8! If you're looking to do some sort of high steer, used GM flat tops are alot cheaper than Dedenbears. Here's some good info: http://offroaddesign.com/Dana44crossover.htm ------------Hans

Last edited:
dlarrivee said:
..........if one were looking to use brand new brake calipers, and rotors, is there a kit available to mount the caliper?
GM caliper brackets just bolt on using the same 6 spindle bolts. In fact I used GM calipers, spindles and brackets (with Ford rotors) when I converted my early Bronco from drum (six bolt spindle) to disc brakes---------Hans

dlarrivee said:

im going to buy the ford ones for a few reasons -
1 - my ford front axle came with all the ford stuff - caliper brackets, spindles...
2 - I am already invested in ford stub alloy shafts
3 - ford stub shafts are 1/2" shorter - narrower curb feelers...

91 Jeep Project said:
Pretty much just depends on what pattern you want. And why do you need a "kit" for a caliper bracket? Just pick up a used one for whichever setup you decide to run.

I work out of town, and don't have a lot of time on my hands to go junkyard hunting. I'd like to be able to order a bracket, if I can't find one.

I realize you can do a lot of mixing and matching here, but I was just wondering if there was a good reason to go with chevy from the knuckles out.
I knew that Ford had one less spindle stud, but beyond that and maybe the sizes of spindles etc. I couldn't see why you'd choose chev over ford.

Hopefully I can find a nice Ford axle with disc brakes on it already, and then just buy some flat top knuckles and switch it all over.

dlarrivee said:
.............Hopefully I can find a nice Ford axle with disc brakes on it already, and then just buy some flat top knuckles and switch it all over.
There in lies the problem. The only flat top knuckles (that I know of) came on earlier GM trucks (see my earlier post) so, your Ford brake stuff won't bolt up-----------Hans

Oatmeal said:
There in lies the problem. The only flat top knuckles (that I know of) came on earlier GM trucks (see my earlier post) so, your Ford brake stuff won't bolt up-----------Hans
Never mind. I figured it out......that's why you were talking about the Dedenbear knuckles--------Hans

Yeah, I've read through that a few times.

http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=219&rn=1344&action=show_detail

http://www.partsmike.com/store/store.php?crn=219&rn=1353&action=show_detail

There's some caliper brackets... I've only ever taken the calipers off of my stock XJ, so I'm assuming this is different because my calipers mount to the knuckle directly. Mind you, I also have a sealed hub assembly up front.

I'd like to have all new calipers, rotors, pads, lines. I don't like the idea of junkyard brakes.

Seems like the best way to go here, is to go with chevy knuckles, spindles, brake caliper brackets and calipers... But to then go with Ford 5X5.5 hubs, rotors, and bearings...

Mind, you that's all just to get to 5X5.5... I suppose 6X5.5, with all chevy stuff isn't bad either... It just seems to me like doing it with a mix is more popular for some reason?

The outer axle shafts

Back