• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lift options?

911xj/tj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok , well right now I have 4 inch coils with a 3 in bolted on spacer, and 5.5re leafs with 1.5 shackle in the rear. I bought the XJ early summer, as is. I have 33'' on it right now and it sure doesnt look like 7" of lift. The rear is sagging and I need to get rid of the 3" spacer in the front.

Ive been looking at RE 5.5 coils and leafs, but I kinds have to save some cash first. I also looked at Rusty's springs 6.5". which is a bit cheaper. I dont have a fixed yoke on the TC, but do have a drop with no vibes now.

Im wanting to put 35's on , what would yall do?

DSCN0381.jpg

Once you get to that height you should do the SYE wether you have vibes or not. The 35's will put more strain on your whole drivetrain and taking the transfer case apart and examining things like all the bearings and the chain kind of take the transfer case's condition and ability to withstand the abuse out of the problem. It also makes te transfer case more bulletproof due to the new output shaft. With the SYE you'll need a driveshaft and you'll probly wanna go with somethine like a Tom Wood's driveshaft.
With that said, I think that if you want to lift it that high I think you should do it the right way, instead of piecing it togethor. I like the look of the RE 5.5 inch long arm kit. It looks like it's very upgradable.

just my .02!

Its a trail rig only. I have been looking at getting a SYE, but limited options with the 242. Im just wanting the least amout of lift to clear the 35's, and of course look good. (funtional and good looking..haha).

Heres the specs on it.
87 ,4.0 liter I-6
auto trans/242 transfer case, 4.56 gears, Lockright, currie steering
Dana 44 rear 4.56 gears on a spool
4” coils with 3” spacer, drop
brackets, upper and lower arms. Rear- 5.5” leaves with
1.5” shackles
33” Bfg's
d&c cage

Have you actually measured it? It looks close to 7 to me. There is also plenty of room for 35s if you trim some.

I had about the same lift (measured 6.5"Front/7"Rear going by the "dirty" method) on 33s, and have lowered it back down to an actual 5.5". I will be running 35-36s at that height. IMHO, If you really wheel it, the lower COG will be more beneficial than that extra 1.5". You just need to dig out the sawzall! Also remember bump stops!

Here is mine at ~7" for you to compare to. Keep in mind I have trimmed the fenders and don't have flares. I EASILY could fit 35s, no problem (except I wasn't geared for them)
2.jpg

4.jpg

This is where it sits now, I will probably have to trim a little more to fit 36s, but I think 35s would go. It feels much more stable, and I really didn't lose any capability.
The rear has broken is some since this pic, it now sits perfectly level.
DSCF1785.jpg

Back