• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE 3.5 vs. Black Diamond 3 inch Lift

xjmania123

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, First off I have a stock 2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic and have a limited budget. My Jeep is mainly a pavement pounder, but I want to get 31X10.5s on the Jeep. I have been looking into both the RE 3.5 Super-ride and the Black Diamond 3 inch lifts. I know most people will tell me to go with the RE 3.5 Super-ride over the Black Diamond, but people also say that with the RE 3.5 you will need an SYE and a new CV driveshaft. That is $500 for the RE 3.5 including shocks and another $400 for the driveshaft and SYE, totaling around $900. Too much for me.. Then I heard with the Black Diamond you most likely will NOT need a new driveshaft and SYE. So for $432.20 for the Black Diamond lift that will allow me 31X10.5s with minor fender trimming, that seemed like a better deal. Can anyone agree with me or tell me that may not work or anything. Anything is helpful. My main thing is I want to get a small lift with 31s in which I won't need to buy anything besides the basic lift components, i.e. no new driveshaft and SYE if I don't have to. Thx a million!!!!!!

I ran a RE 3.5" lift with 1.75" spacers for a total of about 5.25" of lift without a SYE or new driveshaft. I had some vibration, so I made a homemade TC drop kit for about $5 and cured the problem. When I went to a new lift, I did the SYE and TW driveshaft.

With 3.5", I wouldn't think you would need a SYE or shaft and any vibes you pick up (if any) could be handled by a TC drop or shims. Either are cheap. RE makes outstanding stuff. I've yet to have any break on me.

Good luck!

I went with a cheaper 3" lift for my 2000 i hated my jeep and wanted to sell it! I now have the RE 3.5, buy it, upgrade to OME shocks, your going to have to get a trac-bar...get full leaf packs throw a .75" spacer in the front to level it out and put some 31's on it! Lifting a vehicle isnt a cheap option, once your done with that gears will be in your future, etc. etc.

I have a 2000 Classic and I went with the 3.5" RE Super Flex w/ rear springs. I installed the OME shocks and steering stabilizer. I have a Dana 35 rear axle and I dropped the t-case and I haven't had any vibrations at all. I have had the kit installed and driven over 50K miles too! I have no complaints about RE and after researching the forums, I made the right choice. Hope this helps ya.

I don't know if the bd kit has improved, but I installed one several years ago and was not satisfied. The rear add-a-leaf did not add 3 inches of lift and it quickly settled down to stock ride height. The lower control arms required relocating the frame side bolt hole and welding in reinforcement. The springs have a very stiff ride as well.

xjmania, do you have an 8.25 or D35? Auto or manual?

if you have a manual and the D35, you can probably get away with just doing a TC drop/shims....the 2000s have a longer TC output shaft than earlier model XJs, so they are more prone to vibrations w/ smaller lifts.

I would go with full leaf packs, with whatever kit you decide to go with. if you REALLY want the best ride, look at a 3" OME lift...just make sure you get an adjustable track bar too!

privatejoker said:
I don't know if the bd kit has improved, but I installed one several years ago and was not satisfied. The rear add-a-leaf did not add 3 inches of lift and it quickly settled down to stock ride height. The lower control arms required relocating the frame side bolt hole and welding in reinforcement. The springs have a very stiff ride as well.

have had a similar experience. have the 3" BD with add-a-leaf. Not that the stiff ride bothered me so much, it was that it sagged and my rear is almost at stock height, most likely due to the stock springs being worn now. The kit really only provides a 2-2.5" lift too.

i have had the both 3" black diamond on my '01 and now a 4.5" RE on my '00

the RE is by far the only kit I will every go with agian...unless of course its a TNT which uses RE components

here are my 2 cents.

vibs are caused by lift height, not by who makes the lift. RE 3.5 lift usually will give you more lift than advertised, thats why there is a need for the SYE. BD may give you 3" and that may also give you vibes but a transfercase may solve that problem because its probably closer to 3", whereas the RE 3.5 will be closer to 4.5" depending on if you have a heavy bumper.

i also highly recommend an adjustable trackbar with 3" or more lift. it will center the front axle.

Back