• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D-35 to 8.25 swap DS and e-brake line questions

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I just got done swapping the 8.25 into my 90' DD, I know that everyone says to use the 8.25 shaft(I've searched) but mine seems short, I only have about a inch of slip yoke on the output shaft.

The D-35 shaft seems to fit good with about a inch and a half of slip sitting at ride hieght.

Which one should I use?

90' 4.0, AW4, NP231, 2" lift(bastard spring packs)

Which e-brake cables? Will the ones from my 90 work with the 96 8.25 brakes? I havent gotten that far yet!

I don't know if it's the same thing for you but I just swapped a my chryco 8.25 for a D44 and I just swapped the 8.25 ebrake cables to the D44 and it worked fine.

The 90 and 96 e-brake cables should be the same length and go to the same location.

It's the 97+ ones that are in a different location and are two different lengths.

on my 95, i swapped out my D35 for a 8.25 out of an 01. i used the 35s drive shaft with no ill effects. i still have enough left in the slip yoke even at full flex. by the way its sitting at 4.5+" of lift.

stewie said:
on my 95, i swapped out my D35 for a 8.25 out of an 01. i used the 35s drive shaft with no ill effects. i still have enough left in the slip yoke even at full flex. by the way its sitting at 4.5+" of lift.

The amount of lift you have could be why the longer shaft works ok, I think at my 2" it may be too much, but I'm afraid that the 8.25 shaft is too short!

It sounds like the longer shaft fits better. As long as it doesn't come close to bottoming out while cycling the suspension it will be fine. You definitely want to make sure there is enough spline engagement there, too short can be really bad.

Back