• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway Bar Rub on Pass. Side Coil

EMSJEEP

NAXJA Forum User
Thats just about the story, the connection between the sway bar and the quick disconnects is rubbing on the coil spring. Its an RE 4.5 lift with the Gen 2 disconnects. Nothing appears to be bent...it hasn't seen any rough use yet, but I noticed the sound when I hit speed bumps. I'm back at school now, I only have my tool box, no floor jack, no workspace no jack stands. Ideas?
Thanks,
Alex

It was aligned within the last 500 miles...it looks as if maybe the coil is not seated in the groove on the bottom properly, though the retaining clip is tight. I don't know any way to adjust that without doing more work than I would like to in a parking lot...

Drop kit fixed it, but I was still worried that something was off center because it only rubbed on one side....also the bumpstop isn't inline with the bumpstop plate, it kind hits at a 20 degree angle...

Then it sounds like you control arms are too small which will keep the axle farther back in the fenderwell. Then when the coils compress the bumpstop will not line up with the plate. My guess would be that your coils are bowed out towards the front of your jeep.

not exactly noticably bowed, but maybe just a tad...does that mean adjustable control arms are in my future, or can that be an alignment job?

You will need longer control arms. Its the only way to keep your axle geometry correct from front to back. I have a 4.5" lift with stock control arms. Rides a little rough but not bad. If you already put the sway bar relocation on there then i wouldn't worry about it.

I have the RE 4.5" kit that came with uppers and lowers. I guess I could expect it not to be absolutely perfect as they afre fixed arms butthey sell it as a kit for a reason. I would hope that I couldn't expect an obvious "deformity".... I also go to a pretty decent alignment shop, think they would have said something?

Sorry I was under the impression that you had the coils with stock arms. Im not sure what the exact cause would be. Maybe a defective coil that sags too much although re is a pretty respected brand.... or that the coil isn't seated properly other than that you got me.... Some pics would help.

Back