• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

alternator install issues

sflasal

NAXJA Forum User
Cant believe I been lurking here as long as I have and I've finally had an issue with my XJ that I cant find the solution to using the search :gag:

Yesterday I put a new starter and alternator in my XJ (1991 Limited w/ the 4.0 I6)
When I removed the Alt I found a wire that was not connected to anything and I'm wondering where it should go.

Where the electrical connex attach to the back of the alt, there is the plastic "block" that attaches to the 2 posts on the back of the alt. Also attached to this block are 3 wires. Two of them attach to what I'm assuming are ground points on the back of the alt. The third wire that comes off the block and looks the same as the two that go to grounding points on the alt (with the exception of the 3rd being considerably longer) was just hanging off into space inside the engine compartment. I know it should attach somewhere but I don't know where and my Haynes manual doesn't mention it.

Another question on the same topic is to remove the Alt I had to remove a "L" shaped bracket that was mounted on the front of the alt/alt mounting bracket. What is the purpose of that bracket? Nothing was attached to it. Is it there to stiffen up the alt mount? Do I need it, or can I leave it off?

Hopefully my explanations make sense if not I can take pics :)

Sal

I just replaced my alt yesterday on my DD '91 Laredo. I have 4 wires going into the alt.

1 large red wire at the top of the alt leading to the ignition coil / split to the ECU.
1 large black wire grounded to the engine block.
2 wires coming from the 'plastic' regulator block - one of these is green and one black and grey, these appear to lead into a harness somewhere near the ground on the engine block. According to my wire diag. the green wire leads back to the ECU and the black and grey wire leads back to the power distribution center (underhood fuses).

If you're referring to a different wire, a picture may help...

When removing the alt. I found that I would have to either remove the centrifical fan or the " L " shaped bracket. I choose the fan myself, due to the bracket having an outragous amount of torque on the bolts. I only assume that this bracket provides more stability for the alt. under loads from the belt. I would put it back on with the new alt. myself.

Hope this helps...
--Jeremy89XJ--

Back